Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Create bootable Rescue media to use for Macrium reflect free

• Please log in to reply

njlock

njlock

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
I was able to get Macrium reflect free up & running and capture an image, but 

Having this issue with some (had one that worked)  usb drives I've bought. Can it be fixed or what kind of usb drive will definitely work?

TRACK 0 OF THE DISK IS NOT WRITABLE

this disc cannot be used for rescue media.

btw do I need a different rescue media usb drive for each different computer?
thx

from program instructions to make rescue media usb drive
CREATE EMERGENCY USB

Once installed run the programme
Insert a 4GB USB drive into the system
On the left of the dialogue select Other Tasks
Select Create bootable Rescue media
In the window that opens select Windows PE 5.0 
Click Next 

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Seems strange that you have issues with some flash drives, however you say one did work?

Did you check that the computer will now boot up from it?

You don't need to actually do any more than check that it does boot, just close down again and revert to the internal hard drive once you know it does boot up from the flash drive. That one will actually be enough, more about that further on.

The drives that are not being accepted, have you formatted them? Try a format to FAT32, first, if still no good try a format to NTFS, though from the guide it would appear that it shouldn't matter.

To check the drives, plug it in, then once it shows in explorer or in Computer, right click on it and choose properties, it should show you the size and if anything of the space is already used. (A small amount of up to 4 or 5KB is always occupied) Next thing to try is see if they will store and hold other data, pictures video etc.

Once you have installed the same version of Macrium Reflect, and then created an image on any number of computers, the one rescue media, if also created by the same version of Macrium Reflect will work on all of those computers.

Now for just my own opinion, I personally don't trust flash drives for this purpose, and much prefer to burn a CD or DVD disk. That does of course require all computers to have a CD/DVD disk drive fitted.

If burned to once only R disks, they cannot be accidentally reformatted, or other data added. Also the rewritable disks sometimes will have problems being read later whereas write once only disks are more reliable.

Nev.

khazarian

khazarian

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I only use DVD-R disks by Taiyo Yuden. Never get coasters.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Very helpfull thanks a lot!! I got one usb bootable, (the others, who knows?)  & I'll get a cd-r working as well

Thx!

Once you have installed the same version of Macrium Reflect, and then created an image on any number of computers, the one rescue media, if also created by the same version of Macrium Reflect will work on all of those computers.

Now for just my own opinion, I personally don't trust flash drives for this purpose, and much prefer to burn a CD or DVD disk. That does of course require all computers to have a CD/DVD disk drive fitted.

If burned to once only R disks, they cannot be accidentally reformatted, or other data added. Also the rewritable disks sometimes will have problems being read later whereas write once only disks are more reliable.