Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unidentified Connection (cant access internet) windows 7

• Please log in to reply

supaduparich

supaduparich

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi I am hoping somebody out there can help me.

I have been trying for a couple of days now to connect to my network/internet at home but it keeps coming up with Unidentified Network (public) on my desktop. It is a wired connection. My laptop connects fine both wired and wireless to the connection.

I have tried everything on the internet to try and solve it. Changing ipv4 settings. using the cmd prompt for various resets. Updating network drivers and nothing changes. Tried this: http://support.micro...kb/299357/en-gb

I have moved with this computer a few times and never had an issue connecting to any network/hub. I have an Asus Maximus II motherboard so I have two ports and both have the same issue. When i try and resolve problems i get this issue: Local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration. in the network and sharing center. I have my IPv4 settings set to automatic at the moment the same as my laptop and still does not work.

When i run the ipconfig in the cmd prompt I get no default gateway showing. I get an IPv4 Address starting 169.254.

When i run ipconfig/renew i get the following message: An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-interface 1: The system cannot find the file specified.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rich

Advertisements

Intalex

Intalex

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Based on what you have done so far, I would suggest hard resetting the modem. You want to get your modem to hand out a 192.168.. ip address instead of 169. 

You might have to call your ISP to help you with setting up the modem after it has been reset. If you are still getting a 169 ip after the hard reset, I would suggest replacing the modem.

My only question is do you have a router connected to your modem?