Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet website grabs all my RAM.

• Please log in to reply

Adrian Wainer

Adrian Wainer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

The website of the UK newspapers The Daily Telegraph / The Sunday Telegraph if I go on to that site it progressively grabs the RAM of my computer until my computer becomes inoperable.  In the UK newspapers are allowed to openly support political parties and that paper supports the Conservative Party in the UK however the moderation on their website allow the likes of neo-Nazis, Stalinist Communists and genocidal Anarchists to post freely on their site even to advocate murdering people whilst supporters of the Conservative Party are thrown off the site for doing nothing wrong. This suggests to me that this organization has been infiltrated by criminal subversive elements and that what is going on with regard to the RAM issue is designed to keep people the subversive elements do not approve of from using the site and is a form of malware which has been loaded on to the paper's server to target particular users. I really have only given the political details to help readers understand what I think is happening and what I am particularly interested in if people have seen this thing happening before and is it a known malware technique. As best as I can ascertain the the site is not loading malware on to my computer just causing it to occupy RAM. 

Here is the address for the website 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Edited by Adrian Wainer, 12 September 2014 - 11:49 PM.

Advertisements

Jared44

Jared44

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I've been on the telegraph website multiple times and even now it's fine.

It sounds like a severe memory leak is being caused by a component within your browser.

Does it generate a BSOD if left long enough?

If it doesn't then we'll need to use a Live Kernel Debugging session to find the cause.

But first, does it cause a memory leak if you're using a different browser at all?

Do any other websites cause it?

Adrian Wainer

Adrian Wainer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I've been on the telegraph website multiple times and even now it's fine.

It sounds like a severe memory leak is being caused by a component within your browser.

Does it generate a BSOD if left long enough?

If it doesn't then we'll need to use a Live Kernel Debugging session to find the cause.

But first, does it cause a memory leak if you're using a different browser at all?

Do any other websites cause it?

It doesn't cause BSOD, what happens is that with just one single page open on that website the amount of RAM it uses relentlessly increases till it has taken every bit of ram it can get  and my hard drive goes in to continuous use out of need to use the disc because of memory shortage and then I can't get at the page to close it on the browser or in to task manager to close it and the only thing to do is to disconnect the computer from the internet and wait about ten minutes for the computer to cycle out of its problems by which time either the page has collapsed and released the memory or I can get in to task manager to kill the page from there. If I kill the page from the browser or task manager before the memory usage is crippling then my computer operates in a normal fashion unless I go back to telegraph and open a page in the Telegraph in which case it starts grabbing RAM again.  The problem is happening  only in the combination of both accessing  the Telegraph website and using Google Chrome. It is not happening when I use other websites with Chrome. Using another browser when looking at the Telegraph website seems to be stopping it from happening. 

Edited by Adrian Wainer, 14 September 2014 - 04:27 AM.

Jared44

Jared44

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Very interesting...

What's happening is the webpage or some plugin on chrome related to that webpage is allocating memory by a certain amount per second, however, when something allocates memory when it has finished using the memory it is meant to free it so it can be put back to use after the addresses have been cleaned. When we have a memory leak the addresses aren't being freed but more memory is being allocated until there is nothing left. The only way to free it is to close the program (or webpage in your case) which frees all the memory allocations associated with that process. I switched to Firefox as Chrome caused a severe memory leak to me before, I've been told a few people have been having it so you're not alone.

What plugins have you got in Chrome?

Edited by Jared44, 13 September 2014 - 12:11 PM.

Adrian Wainer

Adrian Wainer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yes the Firefox browser seems to be able to be used with the Telegraph site without this problem arising. I think the best strategy is for people who like Chrome is to keep on using Chrome and keep Firefox as a back up for any sites which generate this problem. It does not appear to be widespread as I spend a lot of time accessing a very extensive variety of websites and this is the first time I have ever encountered it and have only done so on one single site that is the Telegraph's. Thank you very much for your assistance, much appreciated. 

Edited by Adrian Wainer, 14 September 2014 - 04:45 AM.

Jared44

Jared44

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I've had problems with Chrome personally so I no longer use it.

Do you have any plugins/extensions in Chrome?