Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't load windows

• Please log in to reply

HuntingMama

HuntingMama

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I had a bunch of malware that I was trying to remove. After several frustrating hours, I tried to do a system restore (using an external hard drive for the restore date).

It seemed like it went through with the restore, but as it tries to reload windows (normally or in safe mode) it keeps going to this screen: (see attached file). "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down.......

It won't boot at all. I am not computer savvy, I am a complete idiot. Please help. I have since unplugged the USB for the external hard drive and tried rebooting to get the same frustrating result.

I have a dell, win 7 64 bit, that's all I know without being able to look in the computer.

Best wishes,
HuntingMama
image.jpg

Edited by HuntingMama, 29 September 2014 - 08:30 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

A bunch of malware is ominous ...

Do you have your data backed up? If yes then I suggest you restore the computer to it's factory new state to make certain all malware is removed. This will wipe everything from the boot drive and put the computer back to like the day you first got it.

Normally with Dell computers pressing Ctrl+F11 as soon as you see the Dell logo will start the recovery process. To be sure I need the full name and model number of the Dell to look in the online Users Guide.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

If you have not backup your personal data and do not want to loose it by restoring your computer to factory default you can try this solution.

Hope that helps

HuntingMama

HuntingMama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I had to excuse myself (before I threw the computer out the window) and I just now got back.

After a few hours, I am happily shocked to see the windows screen. I have successfully signed into Windows, and I am now going to back everything up. Then onto the malware....

Thanks, folks. Your input is much appreciated.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What did you do? Did you try the fix Alzeimer posted?

HuntingMama

HuntingMama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks Alzeimer!

Ztruker,
After I saw the screen (the blue screen pic that I posted above) I was ready to give up because this stuff is way over my head.

Earlier that morning, I had plugged in my Seagate external hard drive to use it to do a system restore to a date on that drive because I couldn't find a restore date back far enough on the internal hard drive, meaning before the date of malware/virus problems. It was after I did a restore to July 2013 that I was having such problems and posted here.)

So basically, I unplugged the ext HD, forced a restart, then left the house. When I came back a couple of hours later it was at the windows sign on screen. I typed in my password and it seemed ok. I have since backed up my files onto the EX HD and unplugged it again. Now I am back to square one with the malware/virus issues, I haven't yet posted in the proper forum about this yet, because I need to sit in front of the computer and list all the names that I see so I can request help. (I am on my iPad). I hope to get to that when I get my daughter off to school.

Best wishes,
HuntingMama

HuntingMama

HuntingMama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ztruker,
Sorry I didn't reply to your first post. I didn't have my data backed up then. It has since been backed up.

I have a Dell Studio XP 7100
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
6Gb ram (5.75 usable)
64 bit os

Things I am seeing right now: System Optimizer Pro, AnyProtect, safefinder.com, zym.toolbahssuburban.com......and the list goes on and on... Not exactly my idea of fun. And yes, very ominous! :)

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, you don't need to list all of what you are seeing when posting in the malware removal forum, just mention one or two and explain there are many more. When you post the requested logs, the malware removal expert will see all he or she needs to know in the logs.

I recommend going there as soon as possible, read the instructions for posting the logs and hopefully you will soon be sorted.

Nev.