Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates will not install

updates install k numbers windows 7 windows updates failed updates security updates

• Please log in to reply

Jane Milburn

Jane Milburn

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello, most updates have failed for sometime now. No Updates for Windows 7 (K numbers) and Security Updates for Windows 7 (K numbers) will install?

I click Install Updates and the process starts ( I have no programs open and shut down my browser). It appears the updates have been installed but after my pc restarts, I am told that all updates have failed. I do not see error messages at that point but only when viewing in my update history, do I see they have all  failed except for Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials which always installs successfully?

I have tried many fixes I found at Microsoft and online but nothing seems to work.
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot and have Windows 7 Home 32 bit.

I have just tried to install updates but as usual all failed?

Could someone please help me with this problem. Oh and I have posted on Microsoft forum but had no answer for a couple of weeks now.Clipboard03.jpg Clipboard04.jpg

Advertisements

HarlenSloth

HarlenSloth

• Pip
  • 2 posts

http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7 This usually repairs this issue.  If it doesn't try to run a repair of windows from the setup CD, or as a radical approach you can install win7 on top of itself and relocate your personal stuff from old windows folder.

Edited by godawgs, 02 October 2014 - 08:02 PM.
Edited to remove advertising links

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Jane,

Welcome to Geeks To Go! :)

Let's check for any missing or corrupt files.

I am going to have you download and run the System Update Readiness Tool and paste the resultant log into your next reply.
  • Click on the link above and select your Language then press the Download button and save the file to your desktop.
    SURT1.png
  • Once the download has completed, please go to your desktop and double click on SURT. (It will have a similar name to Windows6.1-KB947821-v33-x86)

surt3.png

surt4.png

When SURT has finished installing you should see a dialog box, like the one below.

surt5.png

Next:
  • To find the log:
  • Click the StartVISTAORB.jpg orb -> then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Double click on CBS
  • You should now see a file called CheckSUR.log
  • Please copy and paste this log into your next reply.
Thank you,
Donna :)

Jane Milburn

Jane Milburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7 This usually repairs this issue.  If it doesn't try to run a repair of windows from the setup CD, or as a radical approach you can install win7 on top of itself and relocate your personal stuff from old windows folder.

Thank you but I have run the FixIt many times, when it has finished the message just says process has finished. I have also followed many troubleshooters but still no resolve. I would prefer to try to fix the problem rather than installing windows on top of itself.

Jane Milburn

Jane Milburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi Jane,

Welcome to Geeks To Go! :)

Let's check for any missing or corrupt files.

I am going to have you download and run the System Update Readiness Tool and paste the resultant log into your next reply.

• Click on the link above and select your Language then press the Download button and save the file to your desktop.
    SURT1.png
  • Once the download has completed, please go to your desktop and double click on SURT. (It will have a similar name to Windows6.1-KB947821-v33-x86)

surt3.png

surt4.png

When SURT has finished installing you should see a dialog box, like the one below.

surt5.png

Next:
  • To find the log:
  • Click the StartVISTAORB.jpg orb -> then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Double click on CBS
  • You should now see a file called CheckSUR.log
  • Please copy and paste this log into your next reply.
Thank you,
Donna :)

Many thanks, I will follow your instructions now.

Jane Milburn

Jane Milburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello, here is the CheckSUR.log -

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 25.0
2014-10-02 03:58

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 1398
 No errors detected

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Jane,

I do apologize for the delay. Inclement weather in my area resulted in lack of internet connection last night. :(

Thank you for the log. :)

No corrupt files are appearing. Please do the following:

Software Distribution rename
  • Click Start -> Type in CMD in the search -> Right click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator
  • Enter in the following commands:
    net stop wuauserv
    ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak
    ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DS.bak
    net start wuauserv
Once completed please try and run windows update again and report the results in your next reply.

Jane Milburn

Jane Milburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello and thank you Donna, I followed your instructions but the problem is still not solved? Can you please offer any other solution?

Clipboard05.jpg Clipboard06.jpg

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Jane,

I need to see the Windows Update Log. Please follow the instructions below:

Windows Update Log
  • Click on the StartVISTAORB.jpg
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command
    cmd /c copy %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\WindowsUpdate.txt"
  • Please go to your desktop and attach WindowsUpdate.txt to your next post

Jane Milburn

Jane Milburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Here's the WindowsUpdate.txt you asked for.

Attached File  WindowsUpdate.txt   1.82MB   1049 downloads

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Jane,

Thank you for the log.

It appears that what you are experiencing is what I call the domino effect. The majority of the updates has failed resulting in the 0x800f0826 error which means that one particular update failed and is preventing you from installing additional updates.

See below for the error and failures found in the Windows Update log:

Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800f0826: Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2926765)
Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800f0826: Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2868626)
Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800f0826: Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2957509)

The particular update that may have caused this will have a completely different error code as those above and I may have found it. See below:

Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073a98: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB2977629).

What I would like for you to do is as follows:
  • Click on your Start VISTAORB.jpg
  • In your Start Search, type in Windows Update and click on it to open.
  • Look for the (KB2977629) Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 update and uncheck it to prevent it from trying to install.
  • Go back to the other updates that are ready to install and allow only a few at a time to install in the following manner:
1st ~ Update for Windows 7 (KB's) 2-3 at a time
2nd ~ Security Update for Windows 7 (KB's) 2-3 at a time
3rd ~ Security Update for Microsoft NET. Framework (KB's) one at a time

Let me know the results.

DO NOT allow (KB2977629) to install at this time. I have a feeling that there was an issue with that particular IE update and would like to research in depth for a solution.

In the mean time, as you can see, the WU log is HUGE! I will need a bit more time to review the log in it's entirety to pinpoint if this is the only update that may have caused this "domino" effect. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Jane Milburn

Jane Milburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello, I followed your instructions but again all failed. I am happy to be patient as I appreciate what you are doing for me so much.

Clipboard07.jpg

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Jane,

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP Configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices - (dial) All
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result.

Jane Milburn

Jane Milburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Results as requested:-

Attached File  Result.txt   71.7KB   563 downloads

Robust

Robust

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Hi,

This is not related to your error directly, but I have noticed your hosts file contains a bunch of stuff you do not require. I recommend resetting your hosts file to default.

• Open Windows Explorer
  • Paste in the following path into the box at the top;
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc
  • Open the hosts file as an administrator
  • Remove all entries except 127.0.0.1 localhost (should be the top line)

For your issue, if you have not already please follow this guide from Microsoft, it relates to the error you're getting.

Edited by Robust, 05 October 2014 - 03:12 PM.