Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shortcut shape change on desktop

• Please log in to reply

IONx64

IONx64

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hello friends,

I have such stupid problems today, i pinned my desktop shortcuts to the taskbar to make my desktop free and after that pinned shortcut on taskbar got strange different shape. why? what is problem and how to correct it?

Thanks in advanced.

Advertisements

ProgramGeeks

ProgramGeeks

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

What do you mean you pinned the shortcut to the task bar? Also, what do you mean by it looks strange? What OS are you using? Please take a screenshot and upload it so I can see what you are talking about.

Edited by ProgramGeeks, 31 October 2014 - 10:18 AM.

IONx64

IONx64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I cannot upload screenshots because i deleted them. my desktop was full with shortcuts for example chrome, mozila , MBAM and etc, so i decided make my desktop free and i pinned them on taskbar below alongside of start symbol. i use windows 7 x64. after i finished pining some of them changed shape of their icons, for example MBAM icon became something different style like unrecognized shape.

ProgramGeeks

ProgramGeeks

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

When you pinned the short cuts, you ran the program then right-click > pin to taskbar?

CCWTech

CCWTech

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Hi IONx64. Have you tried to rebuild the icon cache?

To Manually Rebuild the Icon Cache using the Command Prompt
1. Close and save anything that you are working on. This command will kill explorer and restart the computer when completed.

2. Open an administrative command prompt in Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.

3. In the command prompt, Copy and paste each command line below exactly as is one at a time and press enter after each command.

WARNING: The last command will restart the computer, so be sure to close and save anything that you are working on first.

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A
shutdown /r /f /t 00

4. The IconCache.db file has now been rebuilt.

IONx64

IONx64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

i will do as u told me above and will let u know results. thanks.

CCWTech

CCWTech

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Good luck. Please report back.