Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus Screen is grey with lines (Resolved).

• Please log in to reply

azul20

azul20

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hello,

I have an Asus K60I laptop, and when I boot up, all I can see are a bunch of lines. The display does not appear to be cracked in any way, and it has no problems lighting up. I am able to use the system if I plug it into an a monitor. I have tried taking out the battery, holding down the power button for one minute and then connecting the adapter, but I cannot seem to get the screen back to normal. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello azul20,

Apart from the screen itself being bad other possible causes may include a loose or damaged video cable/ribbon and a faulty power inverter/loose connection, each possibility requires a partial disassembly of the notebook to check out and only checking the condition of the video cable and inverter connection will not require the purchase of new parts, use the steps here to check for damaged or loose connections then let us know what you find.

Video cable here

Inverter costs here

Worse case scenario a new screen here ouch!

FWIW: The cables concerned can become loose by nothing more than everyday use such as opening and closing the notebook top.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you for the reply. After taking it apart, it seems like there is a problem with the screen. The problem seems to be on the back of the screen, where the cable connects to it, but not the actual cable itself.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Please explain what you mean by "The problem seems to be on the back of the screen" or post a picture if you can.

You are welcome btw  :)

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey phillpower2,

Sorry about that. I completely forgot that I even had this laptop. I found it the other day while I was organizing my garage. After I disassembled the LCD, I noticed that the area where the cable would plug into is loose, and cracked. I am not sure what is going on with it now though. After I took the screen off, the system will not boot up. There was no power supply while I was working on it. 

Edited by azul20, 12 November 2014 - 05:14 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

When you say it will not boot what happens exactly as in does it not turn on at all or does it turn on but does not project a display on the external screen etc.

Was this with the notebook screen removed and did you press the Fn + F5 keys to toggle to the external display.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

It turns on, but there is not an image on the external screen. I followed your advice, and tried using Fn + F5 to toggle the external display, but with no luck. In the past, I could just turn on the laptop, plug in the external monitor, and I would be able to use the system. Now, I am not able to do that. Thank you for the reply phillpower2.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Was this with the notebook screen removed

If no try reconnecting the damaged notebook screen and then trying again.

If yes try removing the AC adapter, main battery and the Ram, press down the power button for 20 seconds or so, reassemble and then test.

You are welcome btw  :)

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

No, this was with the screen attached. I missed that question. I will follow your instructions, and post another reply as soon as possible. Probably later on tonight, or tomorrow evening.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

No worries reply when you are able to  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

After removing the memory, and holding down the power button, I pressed Fn+F8 to get the image on the external monitor. In the past, I could use Windows normally, but here is what comes up on the screen now. I don't know if this information will be helpful in any way, but it is worth a shot.

IMAG0103.jpg

I have also noticed that some of my Linux live CD's will work with the system if I insert the disk, then press a key. I am not sure what happened to Windows 7 though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

The computer is set to boot from a network device and unless this has previously been set up the notebook will not boot as it is not configured to do so, restart the notebook and change the boot sequence to either the HDD or DVD drive as the first boot device, whichever you set first you must then set the other as second boot device, make sure that you save the new settings (often F10).

I pressed Fn+F8 to get the image on the external monitor

Do you mean Fn + F5, I ask because F8 is meant to be how you access the boot menu and the Del key to access the BIOS/UEFI 

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you for the reply phillpower2. I tried using Fn+F5 over and over again, but nothing happened. Once I tried Fn+F8, the image appeared on the external monitor right away. Can you please instruct me on how to possibly change the boot sequence? I know how to do this with different computers, but the only way I seem to be able to get anything on the external monitor is by pressing Fn+F8. It then brings me to the picture that I posted. From there, it says that I may select a proper boot device, or boot from the disk drive. I have not been able to find any other ways of booting, except from the disk drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Found an alternative user manual which states F5 is for adjusting screen brightness and F8 for toggling between displays, apologies for the mix up  :blush:

Please restart the notebook while tapping the Esc key, this should get you to the boot sequence, change the boot sequence as detailed earlier

BTW: There are three versions of the ASUS K601, the J,the L and the N, this may explain why the function keys differ, download user manual from here

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you for posting the user manual Phillpower2. I will try the Esc key within the next few minutes. I hope thats all it is.