Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CCleaner has highlighted duplicate files - is it safe to delete them?

Best Answer Plastic Nev , 26 November 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi,In short, do not delete any of them. Having looked through that list, although C.Cleaner has picked up on the fact that maybe two or three files have the same name at the front, the rest of the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

matbur

matbur

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Just trying to speed up my laptop a bit and have gone through the CCleaner options. One option I used was to scan for duplicate files and a fair number were identified. My question is, is it safe to delete the duplicates?

Sorry for the long post but the full list is attached, any help would be much appreciated!Attached File  duplicate.txt   43.53KB   853 downloads

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi,

In short, do not delete any of them. Having looked through that list, although C.Cleaner has picked up on the fact that maybe two or three files have the same name at the front, the rest of the file shows each one is actually different and part of the first file or the program it is associated to. That is the same for every supposedly duplicated file, when in actual fact they are not duplicates at all.

Duplicate file finders are very suspect and it is only where you definitely recognise something, such as a photograph, music file, or other data is definitely the same file with a copy in a different folder. Wherever it says "Program files", you can bet it isn't really a duplicate and should be left alone.

I must also ask, that you do not use the registry cleaner part of C.Cleaner, you only need to look round the rest of the forum to see that not one of the technical staff or ordinary technical members such as myself, will ever tell you registry cleaners of any sort are any good, and in fact can lead to major registry damage.

Rest assured, we are quite often asked to help out someone who has done damage by using a registry cleaner.

Nev.

matbur

matbur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hello, thanks for such a prompt and informative reply.

Unfortunately, I have already run the registry cleaner function on C.Cleaner - no negative effects (or positive) so far since running it - so far, so good!

Cheers for your time. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Ditto to what Nev has said + additionally you will note that there are 32 and 64-bit Vista and Windows 7 drivers present, these are all relevant to your present OS and should be left well alone, an article by respected author Miekiemoe on registry cleaners and so called tweaking tools here

I have already run the registry cleaner function on C.Cleaner - no negative effects (or positive) so far since running it - so far, so good!

Kind of proves the point the fact that there has been no improvement, the negative could have been that you had ended up with a non bootable computer.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Good article by  Miekiemoe Phill, and here are two more from my own store of such things, again by well respected authors.

here

Please note, this second one contains quotes from Mark Russinovich now a top man at Microsoft, and he does know what he is talking about.

here

matbur

matbur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thanks for the info, I basically did it to speed up my aging laptop. 

I initially considered going through msconfig and reducing stuff there and was pointed into the direction of blackviper.com, which has an extensive list of applications but I felt out of my depth disabling stuff so left it alone and opted for C.Cleaner, which appeared to be a more 'novice-friendly' programme for someone of my knowledge on this sort of thing! 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Cheers Nev  :thumbsup:

The three articles are aged 6, 7 (GTG founder Blair article) and 9 years old which goes to show how good they are  ;) 

Some good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:

How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

For anyone using duplicate file finding software of any kind, please refer to my previous post #2 and be very careful about which files you delete. As I said in my previous post, program files should be left alone unless actually uninstalling that program. Only delete files you are absolutely sure are definitely duplicates of existing data.

Nev.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Again, as has been previously stated, DO NOT USE A DUPLICATE FILE FINDER.

Only delete what you actually recognise like word documents, pictures, music, etc.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Gary1991

As we have already stated, do not just arbitrarily use any duplicate file finder and delete files. There are many files that are used in multiple locations and programs. Deleting them could very well render programs and/ or the entire OS inoperable.

Jemcrystal

Jemcrystal

• Pip
  • 6 posts

My Ccleaner found duplicate drivers on my PC and I came here to ask if I need to uninstall one of them but I guess from what I have read above it is not safe to do.  Note that I run the search to find only "matching content" not matching file name.

image.png

image.png

image.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Jemcrystal,

The advice is the exact same as that offered above, please leave well alone else you will end up with a non functional computer.

FWIW: You will note that the visible files are driver related, just so that you are aware, later versions of Windows contain some drivers from earlier OSs, both 32 and 64-bit and mainly from Vista onwards, such can be seen in your first screenshot, when it comes to upgrading an OS on an older computer OEM brands such as Dell and HP etc will often not spend time and resources on developing drivers for a new OS such as Windows 10 and this is were we must rely on drivers from an earlier OS such as Vista or 7, if you are running Windows 7 or above and you delete any of those Vista drivers you will most likely end up with one or more devices not working or worse case scenario a computer that will not boot.

Also worth mentioning is that any storage space gained from deleting unneeded drivers would be minimal and playing russian roulette with them is just not worth the risk.