Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps restarting (BSOD) and sometimes won't boot (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
My computer keeps restarting after roughly 5 minutes of being logged in. Also sometimes whilst windows is starting up it can freeze such as in the login screen, the mouse was still moving though. In safe mode the computer works fine and doesn't have any problems. I did a full scan with norton in safe mode and 2 'virus' were found and resolved but that didn't seem to fix it.

I'm really unsure as to if it is a virus, hardware failure or just windows 7 failing. I would appreciate any help.

Spec:
AMD FX-8350 Eight Core CPU

ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3 (M-ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 3Gb/s)

8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

2GB Palit GTX 660 ti (temporary)

1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE

Corsair 600M PSU

Corsair H40 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

*Edit* Currently running a Malywarebytes Threat Scan in safe mode.

Edited by JoeBenyon, 30 November 2014 - 06:13 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello JoeBenyon,

Some malware is so deep rooted that not even a full format will remove it, keep this in mind because if it looks remotely possible that the computer is infected we must stop work here while you get the all clear of malware by the experts on the security forums, that said the computer working in Safe Mode would normally suggest that this is a driver or a service that is running issue;

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.), record what is currently starting then click the Disable Allbutton.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.  

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Thanks, I will just post the Malwarebytes result:

I will try the msconfig now.

Edited by phillpower2, 30 November 2014 - 06:45 AM.
Malware log removed as not used on these forums.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
After disabling startup program's I had a BSOD when booting, and then after the PC restarted the monitor had no signal and the only way to turn the PC off was the switch on the PSU, this has happened a few times before when not booting in safe mode.

I have attached the BSOD, image taken from my phone so I don't know how visible it is.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by JoeBenyon, 30 November 2014 - 06:46 AM.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
After managing to login I disabled all non Microsoft services and rebooted and the BSOD happened again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Has this system ever been overclocked.

Boot in to Safe Mode if you can, check for dump files and if there are any zip them up and add them to your next reply;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

It has not been overclocked to my knowledge. I am running in safe mode and it works fine.

I have attached the dump files.

Attached Files

Edited by JoeBenyon, 30 November 2014 - 07:26 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
It has not been overclocked to my knowledge.

Odd answer, either you have or you haven't OCd the computer, unless someone else also uses it and may have done so.

While I look at the dump files can you restart the computer, access the BIOS and look for a setting that says "restore factory or most stable setting" select this then save and exit, if the computer boots ok go into the Device Manager and check for any yellow ! or red Xs

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I have never over clocked it.
After selecting Load Default Settings in the Bios it booted and after I typed in my password to log in the monitor had no signal and I had to turn the PC off at the PSU.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Your three crash dumps are each pointing to the CPU FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV this can be caused by various things such as a bad OC, an unstable PSU (can have the same affect as an extreme OC) a faulty CPU or an incorrectly mounted HS and cooling fan putting uneven pressure on the CPU.

Having checked the MB specs it would appear that it has an integrated video port, if this is correct, to remove power demand on the PSU remove the add on video card and hook up the screen to the MB video port, test and post back with an update for us.

The above will also help with the latest "No Signal" message if you have a display with the Palit card removed.

Advertisements

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
After removing the GPU, the PC booted up fine, but after 5 minutes of being logged in it restarted again without a BSOD message.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
I sent my PC to. After fixing my PSU

You would have been better to tell us here first that you had already had problems with a PSU, is this a replacement or a repaired PSU.

There is every chance that the CPU and other hardware has been damaged by a bad PSU, were the repairs covered by any warranty.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The PSU is a replacement, and they weren't covered by a warranty, my CPU and GPU are under warranty.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
The PSU if a replacement must also be covered by warranty, check with the repair service about this if you are unsure.

A bit of repetition now I`m afraid  :( 

Let the computer cool down then restart it, if it boots ok go into the Device Manager and check for any yellow ! or red Xs, next, download and install Speedfan and HWMonitor, shut the computer down and let it cool down again, restart after 5 minutes and run Speedfan and HWMonitor and post screenshots for us;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
When I booted it restarted before I could login, should I download them in safe mode or keep trying? Managed to boot and in device manager there is a Yellow triangle with a ! next to "Nvidia virtual audio device" under Sound, video and game controllers.

Edited by JoeBenyon, 30 November 2014 - 09:22 AM.