Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possibly Corrupted Partition, Need some Assistance Getting the Files o

• Please log in to reply

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Hi Guys,

So I was using my computer the a couple of days ago, at the time I was playing music and opening up microsoft word.

Then it seemed like my computer "locked up". As in I could still use my mouse, but my programs stopped working. Did a Ctrl-Alt-Del but to no avail. So I resorted to hard restarting my computer.

When it booted back up it asked for the windows installation disk. I didn't have one at the time, so I decided to try and launch windows anyway. It got to the blue screen before the login screen, but nothing else. Just that picture, and my mouse. So I decided to do a startup repair with a Windows 7 Dis. Did that (took around 24 hours). And this did not fix the issue.

I realized that windows was screwed, so now my only mission is to get my important files off, most important of which a script I've been working on for months now. I booted into Ubuntu with a Live CD and prepared my External HDD to transfer the files. However, once I got into ubuntu my harddrive wasn't showing up. Which I thought was pretty odd. Opened up GParted, and it showed my harddrive partition type as "unknown". Looked up this issue and came to this:

Boot up with the Windows 7 DVD. Select the language and click Next. In the lower right corner, click Repair your computer (instead of the giant Install Now button in the middle of the screen).

Choose the Windows installation, click on an Administrative user, then OK. You'll see the Command Prompt as the last or second to last option. Click that.

Type bootrec /fixmbr and press Enter. Then type x:\boot\bootsect /nt60 all /force, replacing x: with the DVD drive detected, then press Enter. Then type bootrec /rebuildbcd and press Enter. Assuming it finds the Windows installation, you're off to the races

Did the "bootrec /fixmbr", and that worked succesfully. Then on the second command it kept giving me an error. I'm not sure what it was since it was late last night. So I went and tried another startup repair. It's running right now.

Any suggestions for how I can get my files off?

Edited by Mr. Jack, 03 December 2014 - 02:17 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Welcome back Mr. Jack.

Then on the second command it kept giving me an error. I'm not sure what it was since it was late last night.

Please try the repair again and note the error, if generated, to know what steps to take. 

This tutorial here may help. > https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/

Opened up GParted, and it showed my harddrive partition type as "unknown".

Use CMD, DiskpartList Volume Does the partition have a drive letter?