Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing windows 8

• Please log in to reply

badaddidude

badaddidude

• Pip
  • 7 posts

When installing windows 8 on a known to be infected computer, I have deleted the partitions when asked where I want to install to. After install, all problems (services, bho's, etc.) are still present. Why isn't the drive being wiped clean?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello badaddidude,

Some malware is so deep rooted that not even fully formatting the HDD will clear it, you can though if your computer will boot from a USB thumb drive completely wipe the drive to back to factory new using HDDErase, download and full instructions here

I would suggest that if you are able to wipe the drive and install Windows 8 that upon first boot you check that Windows Defender and Firewall are running and then fully update Windows, Windows Defender in Windows 8 and 8.1 offers the same real time protection as MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) so no third party AV software is required, in addition to this I would recommend the use of Malwarebytes (free) as a minimum is used, any sign of any nasties along the way let us know and we can provide the GTG malware redirect details where you will find the Self Help Cleaning Guide etc.

Can I ask if this is a reinstall on a computer that was already running Windows 8.

badaddidude

badaddidude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello badaddidude,

Some malware is so deep rooted that not even fully formatting the HDD will clear it, you can though if your computer will boot from a USB thumb drive completely wipe the drive to back to factory new using HDDErase, download and full instructions here

I would suggest that if you are able to wipe the drive and install Windows 8 that upon first boot you check that Windows Defender and Firewall are running and then fully update Windows, Windows Defender in Windows 8 and 8.1 offers the same real time protection as MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) so no third party AV software is required, in addition to this I would recommend the use of Malwarebytes (free) as a minimum is used, any sign of any nasties along the way let us know and we can provide the GTG malware redirect details where you will find the Self Help Cleaning Guide etc.

Can I ask if this is a reinstall on a computer that was already running Windows 8.

Yes, windows 8 was already installed previously. I have tried the 32 bit and 64 bit installs, and each time it comes up with all the crap still present.

badaddidude

badaddidude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes, windows 8 was already installed previously. I have tried the 32 bit and 64 bit installs, and each time it comes up with all the crap still present.

The site for you directed me to for HDDerase download and instructions is no longer valid. 

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

The link worked OK for me. Maybe try it with a different browser.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Aye nothing wrong with the link here either!

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  and no need to quote every reply btw  ;) 

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

How are you doing the install? You must boot the DVD/flash drive, not start it from a booted Windows 8 system.

How to Do a Clean Install of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

Make sure all your data is backed up first.