Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What HDD is recommended for HP Proliant Server?

• Please log in to reply

pravinkumar

pravinkumar

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

hi i'm newbie,

I am installing my first server. It's a Proliant ML310e. I need advice on what could be the best or a good recommendation with HDD for the server.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Depends on your budget and what you are using the server for. Also which exact server you have.  It takes 3 GB/S SATA drives (but I suppose if your drive is faster it will still work - just wasted some money) Maximum size varies depending on whether hot plug or not and sff vs lff.  Check out http://www8.hp.com/h...cname=c04128120  Look under Internal Storage.  Western Digital Red, RED PRO or RE would be a good choice if you can afford them.  

pravinkumar

pravinkumar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks,

as HP ProLiant ML310e Generation 8 been with good features, but i found some more products from serverbasket websites as its shows these configration, tell me which is better to me.

HP ProLiant ML10e gen 8 servers
Rs. 47,940.00

FORM FACTOR – 1P TOWER SERVER
PROCESSOR – Intel PentiumG2130 (2-core/3MB/55W, 1600)
MAX RAM – 4gb DDR3
HARD DISK – 384 gb
PROCESSOR SPEED-3.20GHz

HP Proliant ML 350 e Gen 8 servers
Rs. 49,000.00

FORM FACTOR- 5U tower server
PROCESSOR – Intel Xeon E5-2407 v2 (4 core,10MB)
MAX RAM – 192 GB
HARD DISK – 356 GB
PROCESSOR SPEED-2.2 GHz

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Tell me what you want to do with it.

robherr

robherr

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

I can recommend Western Digital or Seagate based on my experience.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

If this is any sort of production server, HP drives all the way.  I have plenty of clients running HP servers, I always insist they run genuine HP drives.  The biggest reason for this is warranty and definite compatibility.

One client decided they didn't want to spend $$$ on HP genuine drives, we installed WD Velociraptors instead.  Not even one year yet and we've already had one failure.  Sure drives die from time to time, but it does stand out to me.

ahmed saber

ahmed saber

• Pip
  • 2 posts

help me pls i have an issue with my  win server 2008 it is slowly response to other computers in the same network  

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

ahmed, please start your own topic instead of posting in someone elses.

navigatorsystem

navigatorsystem

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

First you select which Hp Proliant server you want like ML30, ML60, ML150, Dl160. For HDD recommended is 3x HP 300GB 12G SAS 10K rpm SFF is the best HDD Recommended for Hp proliant server.