Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer screen black and blank

• Please log in to reply

liiz

liiz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I started having issues yesterday, the day after I installed teamviewer a program that is on my iPad also to remotely control the laptop. At first the screen started freezing when I was in the middle of a Java game. So I restarted the laptop only to have it freeze at the main screen (after login).

The screen would freeze the display would change to a very low resolution (I think). So I kept restarting it only to repeat. Until eventually once past the windows logo the screen would turn black and blank. Sometimes the display would turn on black and blank and other times it would do that after the logo.

A few times I managed to get it to go into safe mode and I restored to a few days ago but it made no difference, I also tried many other things like changing some settings but nothing worked.

So after like 2 or 3 hours I Rolled back and disabled "nvidia quadro nvs 135m" (since I read it might be causing the issue and I should uninstall it which I couldn't), once I disabled it I restarted the computer and made it to the main screen without issues, and I could even load my game. I enabled it again And restarted the computer only to have the same issues so I disabled it again after finally getting into safe mode.

I don't know if it works fine now, I left it on at most for 5-10 minutes without any issues and I never actually logged into the game to see if it works.

Like I said I tried restoring to an earlier time but I think the issue is with that particular driver but I have no idea how to fix it.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

liiz,

:welcome:

Did you try to get the latest drivers for NVIDIA http://www.nvidia.co...spx/80140/en-us

Not sure if system is 32bit or 64bit, so make sure to get the right one, rerun the driver page, try this first. During the install select custom and check to do a clean install removing the older drivers

liiz

liiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried that and I believe it has fixed the issue. Thank you!

liiz

liiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually it didn't help. It didn't. I figured out that in my display settings instead of showing my main monitor it only shows "mobile pc display". I know that means from a mobile device but I don't see the option to change back to the main screen. By using the previously mentioned app it changed my settings and so now I don't know how to get the main display screen.

I tried restoring to a previous version before but that didn't do anything, so I'm guessing it didn't fix the display issue. I also tried reinstalling the driver at least twice and nothing.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Liiz,

If you go to control panel and Display, select Change Display  settings, select from drop down box under Display :

Should be numbered say 1. and 2. choose the correct one.

Believe this should be able to be done here as this is where you would have originally set it up when hooking a mobile device up

http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7    <<<<< look here

Edited by jds63, 01 January 2015 - 06:05 PM.