Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No bootable devices available error-please help ASAP (Solved)

Best Answer Elton yu , 04 November 2015 - 06:06 AM

HEY GUYS any of you still around?    So i got my laptop checked and my brothers gonna take it to the shop to replace the dam harddrive (it was the harddrives fault as said by a technician... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Elton yu

Elton yu

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Guys please help,my mom got me this red dell vostro 1220 about 2 months ago,the problem is:i dropped it from about 3-4 feet.i turned it off immediately and turned it back on then this message appearedNo bootable devices available/found,the reason why i dont know is because when i rebooted after seeing that message,it took me to the 2 options screen,repair windows or start windows normally,both of which wont work in launching windows,,,it was probably no bootable devices available.,then after that the error message never appeared but windows still wont launch and im stuck at the 2 options screen,.please help asap because i dont want my mom to find out and shes from nanother country,im 15 and got alittle bit of knowledge in laptops/computers

Thnx for reading and steb by step instructions will help the best!

Edited by Elton yu, 01 April 2015 - 02:23 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

It is quite possible a connection has come loose or a read/right head has damaged the Disc.

The unit will be under warranty and more than likely has an anti tamper device, either in the BIOS or mechanical.   You will risk voiding the warranty if you open it

If some simple steps can't fix it, be brave, you know what you have to do.

Does the keyboard work?

Does the power off button work?

Does it shut down if you close the lid?

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Yes yes and yes all of those work,i have tried reconnecting it once and the warranty was long gone so i decided to go for it,is there any possibility of fixing it via software or somethin like the BIOS? if all fails,then i shall tell her...T-T

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Here is your support page.   If the unit will start in Safe Mode with Networking, use the site to do a full Diagnostic.   If not, from the user manual find out how to start the built in Diagnostic Tool. 

Product Support > http://www.dell.com/...ro-1220/manuals

Post back before doing any disassemble.

In case you need it, > http://www.insidemyl...ro-1220-laptop/

The Service Manual, > http://www.manualsli...ostro-1220.html

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Ok so it dosnt start when i go start it in safe mode with networking,
so what your saying next is to go find out how to start the built in diagnostics in my dell?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

so what your saying next is to go find out how to start the built in diagnostics in my dell? 

No, if it won't Boot, you don't have that available.

You will need to look at the hardware.

Disconnect from the wall socket, if it is being used, > Remove the battery, Press the power button in and hold for ten seconds, then release.

Look in the links in post #4.

Open the case, > find the cables to the HDD, > unplug them, then plug them back in again, > trace the SATA cable to the socket on the MB and make sure it is properly seated.

Find the Clear CMOS jumper on the MB, > Follow the instruction to clear the CMOS.

Close up the case, > reinstall the battery, > if available, connect to a wall socket.

Power on the Laptop.

If you get the option screen again, select Start Windows Normally

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Umm just to make it clear..my unit reads the hdd and knows its connected...is that gonna effect my "dissection" of the unit somehow

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Umm just to make it clear..my unit reads the hdd and knows its connected...is that gonna effect my "dissection" of the unit somehow
And also,i can acces the diagnostics tool,by pressing f12 right? Do i need to show you pictures? Upon startup f12 then 5 options
One of them is diagnostics
Again i can provide pictures to make myself clear if you need it

Edited by Elton yu, 01 April 2015 - 06:47 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

From your first post, "this message appearedNo bootable devices available/found," and later, "Ok so it dosnt start when i go start it in safe mode with networking,"

which looks like the hard drive is still not detected.

Umm just to make it clear..my unit reads the hdd and knows its connected

What now lets you know the hard drive is now detected?

No need for pictures at the moment.   Try clicking to run the Diagnostic tool, then post back the results.

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I went into the bios setup and found my hdd there,,ill try to go in diagnostics

Advertisements

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Ill try all the things you suggest me to do and cross my fingers

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
So it passedeverything except for the hdd thing,then after the diagnostics this came out

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Well that is some progress, at least we know it is the HDD.  Don't know what the message mean.   A Log would have been generated, but as you can't access the HDD, not much good.

Please tell us what the 5 Options were after pressing F12. 

Elton yu

Elton yu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Use the up Annd down keys to move the pointer to the desired boot device.press emter to boot or esc to cancel

Internal HDD
CD/DVD/CD-RW drive
onboard NIC

BIOS setup
diagnostics

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks, not the options we need.

reboot the computer and upon startup, repeatedly press the F8 Key. A window will open, see image.   Use the Keyboard arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good, then press enter.   Post back results.