Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot config data missing 0xc0000185

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
This is what comes up when comp tries to boot. the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains error code 0xc0000185 partions are locked and recovery mangment is missing

A friend of mines Asus X551-RCLN03 daughters comp will not boot up. Cannot get into windows at all to try and restore. I can access BIOS and disable EUFI but the BIOS does not give me any options to boot from DVD or USB drives. It gives me

Boot Option #1 which has Windows Boot Manager or disabled  which I chose Disable

Add New Boot Opion,

Path for boot option

Boot option files path

Create

Not sure how I would Add New Boot Option 

I am trying to follow steps from link below but cannot get comp to boot to CD or USB drive.

http://answers.micro...15-c0409878df4b

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

I figured out how to boot to DVD drive, do not have Windows 8 comp to create bootable disk for repair or come up with a different way to solve my problem.

Thanks, Doug

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You can use the Mediacreationtool from Windows 7 as well, see here: How to Create or Download a Windows 8 and 8.1 ISO
to download a Windows 8.1 ISO.

Follow Option One

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Sorry, forgot to reply with results, found the hard drive is bad.

Thanks for the information.

Doug