Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite problem with speaker causing lost internet connectio

speakers wireless internet

Best Answer jds63 , 12 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

Well hopefully final post on this issue.  I've messed with my system on and off all day.  Cleaned up some stuff, learned more about my computer today then in the last 5 years.  Shut... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

tabberone

tabberone

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I have a Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop. A few years back I was having an issue where I could see the speaker icon vibrating and hear a high pitched whine. The volume would go up on it's own. When it did it would disconnect my wireless internet and I had to reboot for it to be able to find any connections available. Finally tracked it to the Toshiba "green" energy plan. Once I deleted that it was fine.

It's started again, the plan has not creeped back. I tried restoring to an earlier date and that didn't help. I tried completely disabling the speaker, that didn't work. Now it's added something new. I can't shut down. It says it is shutting down, it acts like it is shutting down but a second or so after the screen goes black it powers back up.

Toshiba forums aren't much help and I really don't want to call the help line and talk to someone in India.

I run webroot every day and it hasn't found anything recently

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

tabberone,

:welcome:

Shut off the laptop, when it is off remove the battery and power cord. When both have been removed "Hold" the power button down for 1 minute to completely discharge any electricity. After a minute is up re-insert the battery and power it back on.

See if the buzzing and shaking persists.If it does try this, hold the Windows Key and press R key. In the run box that appears type in devmgmt.msc then push enter.

Double Click on Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, Right-Click each item that appears under this list and choose Uninstall

Press OK to confirm the removal, Reboot the laptop.When laptop reboots it will redetect those drivers again and reinstall them.

If this resolves this issue, try also, click start button, right click Command Prompt, select "run as Administrator"

copy and paste this in command prompt                  sfc /scannow

Let me know if it finds any intergirty violations, files that it has or can not fix.

Try also update sound drivers and any other drivers for this laptop, via Toshiba's site   http://support.toshi...reeText=2685139

Edited by jds63, 10 April 2015 - 08:14 PM.

tabberone

tabberone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

First time didn't work, second time I tried telling it to remove the driver info rather then just uninstall.  I got the boot manager my first try, windows couldn't fix.  Did the battery/power cord thing again and it rebooted without the boot manager coming up and my speaker is not vibrating.  Almost scared to shutdown again but for now it seems to be working.

I'll name my next furbaby after  you (a high honor in my world), thanks for your help.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

As said, did first remove battery and cord hold down power button one minute. To remove drivers in Device manager no telling it, just right click, select uninstall for each one under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

Then reboot right after system will then reinstall drivers again. Try making sure have newest drivers for system and sound device ? No yellow exclamation points in Device manager ?

How about trying System file checker, won't hurt to do. Concerned about this boot manager, any disc in the dvd drive ? Need to keep testing to make sure, i know feeling of that. You are welcome.

tabberone

tabberone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

No disc in the dvd drive.  Just the boot manager or the system saying it couldn't start and went to windows repair.  Which couldn't repair anything.  That's when I did the battery/power cord thing and that seemed to fix the issue.

No vibrating speaker icon, system booted up ok, time will tell.

System file checker?  I see system maintenance.and administrative tools. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

System file checker will check for corrupt or missing system files, believe in my previous post i showed you how, take a look here if you had trouble

https://support.micr...en-us/kb/929833

Since you were getting this issue with boot manager coming up i thought may of had a disc in drive and also use SFC command to check the integrity of system files.

Glad speaker problem is fixed, use SFC anyway, a said won't hurt may solve any other issues you may have. In case you do have a Windows operating system disc ?

tabberone

tabberone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes I do (disc).  Also looked at how many files/programs I had at start up.  For instance two printers that I had uninstalled still had something at start up so I've cleaned that up. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Again try using SFC System file checker. OS is in case of, you may also have a recovery partition on the drive too.

Edited by jds63, 11 April 2015 - 05:41 PM.

tabberone

tabberone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I ran the check, it said it had some errors it couldn't fix and check the log but the only logs I found were from early this morning when it wouldn't boot.  But I wonder, it was system 32 and I have 64.  Don't know if that makes a difference.

tabberone

tabberone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Well hopefully final post on this issue.  I've messed with my system on and off all day.  Cleaned up some stuff, learned more about my computer today then in the last 5 years.  Shut it down and it rebooted with no blue screen of death and no error messages.  You are way way better then Toshiba "support" who wanted me to go back to factory settings.  And completely ignored the speaker issue. 

I can't thank you enough. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
✓  Best Answer

Well hopefully final post on this issue.  I've messed with my system on and off all day.  Cleaned up some stuff, learned more about my computer today then in the last 5 years.  Shut it down and it rebooted with no blue screen of death and no error messages.  You are way way better then Toshiba "support" who wanted me to go back to factory settings.  And completely ignored the speaker issue. 

I can't thank you enough. 

You are very welcome. I am still learning more each day myself, ty.

Chances some files that it can not fix may not affect Windows. Still concerns me if you may still have an issue. What you are seeing in system file checker is it's telling you to check the log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS.log

Mentioned C:\Windows\system32 which confused you to think about your windows system being 32bit or 64bit, this is a folder in C:\Windows,  system32 .As explained were this CBS Log is.

Place where it logs system file checker reports in a text and all the times it was run, which can be sometimes very long text file.

I am not positive on how to read this, can be done this way to retrieve it.

Click Start button,type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

Copy and paste the following in the command prompt, and then press ENTER:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Also in this post explains about everything involved with SFC, go more towards bottom of the links page also see tell you about extracting files from Operating disc.

Truthfully i believe not an easy process, first need to read through log and determine which one, then place it in the right place in C:\Windows.

http://ttp://www.sev...le-checker.html

Majority of people with this issue would do what Toshiba explained as a factory reset, especially if problems do still exist with systems through corrupt files.

Time will tell if you need to do this or not, might be easier then trying to extract files needed that are corrupted it can not fix through SFC.

Edited by jds63, 12 April 2015 - 01:44 PM.