Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Some Windows Icons, that's just the beginning [Closed]

Win 7 Start up Avast Missing Files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Gameinatrix

Gameinatrix

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello all,

I am having some really odd issues and am trying to remain calm but at my wits end here.  I would appreciate any help given. I just ask that you list out steps with as much detail as you can, though I'm techie, I haven't had to do some of this is some time, and my Win 7 has been very stable, I have been pleased.

So I'll explain what's happened:

Yesterday just before Noon CST, I uninstalled Star Wars (The MMO) for like the 6th and would be final time, couldn't get it to work.

After that I got a pop up from Windows, saying my drive was nearly full and it would clean up some files.  I hurriedly clicked okay didn't really read it, but may have not been Windows, thinking back on it.

My Avast was also saying it needed to update to a newer version, which I found odd, because I'd just updated it, but thought oh well. Started that and went back to my 3d modeling.

I made a mistake and decided to close and reopen Blender and got my first pop up saying it couldn't open Blender, perhaps it had been moved and did I want to remove the shortcut. I went huh? And clicked okay. That's when I noticed all my task bar icons were white squares.  I then started getting pop ups saying it Windows was unable to access C://whatever desktop so I shut down all my  programs, restarted.

At first none of the icons would show, they were all white squares and nothing would open.  I restarted again and a few came back, some didnt.

My windows explorer, google chrome, my libraries (full of photos and documents) all white squares or when I could get them to open, back to defaults, everything gone.

I can open the programs but must use the desk top shortcut, not the ones on the programs list.

My user profile WAS locked but found some good instructions here to unlock it but it very clearly says it will not apply unlock permissions to places I KNOW my things are. Access denied.

so my SKype, not longer has my skype logins in there, my chrome no longer has ANYTHING in it.  No logins for my Facebook, Steam, and steam doesn't start up at all (I had it set to start up at start up)  Itunes music gone (not too worried about that, I have itunes match so it's all in the cloud.)

But my photos and documents, more importantly the photos, I'd like to have back and all my bookmarks and links and thinks.Some are imported to my iphone but not ones in recent days, which are ones I really need.

Things I want to note in case they help

1.Cannot run Avast in Safe mode, It asks to be updated and then say it's up to date, THEN says it cannot scan because it cannot find boot points or something like that.

2.In normal mode I get a pop up every few min now that says Recycling Bin is corrupt do I want to empty it.

3.My C drive bounces between having 1 extra gig than it should then saying it has what it's supposed to have, just about every other time I reboot.  Otherwise it's fine.

4. My User profile, which I have managed to unlock and show all hidden files, says it has 2k files in it, but  can still only see about 15, none of them my photos or documents.

5.  Now Avast says it needs to be updated in Normal Mode, it cannot turn on my sheilds, it found no viruses but says I have out of date software and grime.

I haven't test every single program but but they all appear to work fine.

So guys, if you can, HELP.

Tomorrow's my birthday, this girl had planned a day of nice quiet gaming, not fixing her PC. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi, could I have a look at the system please

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Select additions at the bottom
  • Press Scan button.
    frst.JPG
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please attach both logs generated.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.