Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen Problem

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

The following information is provided courtesy of Tech Ztruker, take a look and see what you think; I would suggest you backup your data before doing anything else. That way if something goes... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I also asked;

do you have a Vista or system restore disk specific to the computer concerned.

Advertisements

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi, sorry for missing your question. I wasn't given a Vista CD with this laptop, only a proprietary installation CD from the manufacturer, and a separate recovery harddrive. Not sure if that is of any use?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

See if Windows auto updater is enabled;

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Choose the option that you want.

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Include recommended updates when downloading, installing, or notifying me about updates check box, and then click OK18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Is the disk that you have a Gateway Vista disk or a Gateway utilities disk, post a picture of it for us if you can.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Windows auto updater is enabled.

The disk is the Gateway Vista Operating System Disc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Windows auto updater is enabled.

Was it already enabled or did you need to enable it.

Some repetition now I'm afraid  :(

Can you make sure that the boot order is set to the DVD drive first and the HDD second, start the computer as normal and then run SFC again, you may need to run it 3/4 times to repair all errors if any are reported that is, see steps below;

Go to Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista - 7)
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista- 7)
Have the correct Windows CD/DVD handy (not always required).
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If errors are not found, in Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

If errors are found, for Vista & W7 users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.

The file may be large so upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ and then post the download link here.

How to use mediafire  http://en.kioskea.ne...es-to-mediafire

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

It was already enabled.

Boot order was already set to the DVD drive first and the HDD second.

I tried running the SFC scan in normal mode, but each time my computer completely freezes at 83%, no mouse, keyboard, anything. Should I leave it to continue, or restart the computer or do something else?

Thanks as always for the help :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Apologies for the delay  :(

Can you boot into Windows and check for a CBS log for us please;

Go to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.

The file may be large so upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ and then post the download link here.

How to use mediafire  http://en.kioskea.ne...es-to-mediafire

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No problem at all. :) I checked the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder but it is empty. Should I try running SFC again to get a log?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No CBS log is most likely down to SFC not being anywhere near being able to complete  :(

I would suggest that you try a Repair Installation using the disk that you have, as always create a new restore point first, pop the Vista disk into the drive tray**, restart the computer and follow the guide here

** You previously checked that the DVD drive was first in the boot order and the HDD second so I did not mention it again in the above steps  :thumbsup:

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

My Vista disk is lacking the upgrade option. I think because it is a disk without SP2 maybe? Anyway, the process of a repair install looks to be really long and complicated without a Vista SP2 disk, so I might just upgrade to Windows 10 or something if nothing else can be currently done to fix Windows Update.

Thanks for all your help with this problem :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Cannot give you an answer on that I'm afraid as we have no idea of what is on your disk, as for upgrading from Vista we can come back to that later if you like.

Run the Windows Update troubleshooter Windows Update troubleshooter.

You are welcome btw  :) 

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thanks for the link, but I can't seem to run the diagcab file downloaded from there

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

An alternative method courtesy of MS below;

To run a troubleshooter that will diagnose and repair common problems with Windows Update, click this automatic troubleshooter.

utcol2

utcol2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thanks, I ran it and Windows Update still doesn't work unfortunately

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thinking that a third party software may be blocking the updates I went back to your Speccy report and noted that you have Avira AV installed to protect the computer while Windows Defender and Firewall + McAfee SiteAdvisor Service are also running, see below.

If Avira is a paid for product try disabling Windows Defender and Firewall and uninstalling McAfee SiteAdvisor Service altogether then try to update Windows.

If Avira is the free version, uninstall it following the steps provided by Avira below (please note that Avira can sometimes be difficult to uninstall) uninstall McAfee SiteAdvisor Service, check that Windows Defender and Firewall are still running then try to update Windows.

If either of the above resolves the issue please install an AV software asap, if your Avira is the free version try Avast or MSE instead, both are available free, light on system resources while still offering very good AV protection.

** Worth mentioning is that IE is also out of date + Google and FF are both installed, decide on which is the preferred browser between FF and Google and uninstall the other to avoid any possible conflicts, I would also disable IE9 at some point, for now though I would leave it and only check that it is not the default browser over your choice of FF or Google.

To uninstall Avira;

• Click on: Start → Control Panel → Programs → Programs and Features
  • Search the Avira product, click with the right mouse button on it and select Uninstall
  • Confirm the following product uninstall notification with Yes
  • Confirm the activation of the Windows Firewall with Yes
  • The Avira Setup will take some minutes to uninstall the product
  • Confirm the notification to restart your system with Yes
  • After the reboot of your PC the Avira product is completely removed

Windows Security Center
Firewall: 
Enabled

Windows Update
AutoUpdate: 
Not configured

Windows Defender