Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop startup issues

Broken screen BIOS Hdmi startup

• Please log in to reply

Thanasis

Thanasis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So, about three months from now my laptops screen broke, as temporary fix I just plugged in a hdmi port to output on my tv. So far so good, however, whenever I booted up my laptop I wouldn't see anything at the screen until the login section. My laptop is running incredibly slow(it's 3 years old), as a result of that I thought I would check to see something in the BIOS(if I can format my laptop). So I restarted my laptop and thought that when I'll enter the BIOS, it will load it self, and show to the TV, but it didn't.... I tried to exit it by pure memory but I couldn't. After that, I forced restarted it and to my surprise, now it doesn't even output to my tv!!!

Edited by Thanasis, 13 May 2015 - 08:58 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:    Thanasis,

Can you post the brand and model name or number for the notebook so that we can do some research.

Thanasis

Thanasis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the warm welcoming!

So my laptop's brand is HP. Moreover, it is an HP G62(-b15SV).

Hope it helps!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not sure of what you have tried already so need to ask if you have tried pressing the F4 key to toggle between displays and have you tried pressing the Esc key when you restart the computer.

You are welcome btw  :)

Thanasis

Thanasis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, yeah I've tried the f4 to toggle between screens and just tried the esc when restarting but nothing :(
Also, I've tried switching cables, screens and also tried using the VGA port, but that also didn't work...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

If I am understanding what you say correctly then the notebook powers up, stays powered up but will not display anything whatsoever on any screen, is that correct.

Thanasis

Thanasis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's exactly what's happening sir!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the confirmation  :thumbsup:

Things that can cause this include a bad MB (this includes the video chip that is integrated into it) loose/bad Ram and a failed CPU, hopefully it is Ram related as the other two are not normally a cost effective repair or replacement.

HP G62-b15SV user manual here 

Can you do the following for us;

1: Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the main battery.

2: Ground yourself on a bare piece of metal then remove the Ram, see pages 50 and 51 of user manual.

3: Remove the RTC battery, see page 51 of user manual.

4: Press the notebooks power on button for 20 to 30 seconds to dispel any residual charge from within the notebook.

5: Replace only one stick of Ram and the RTC battery.

6: Replace only the AC adapter and not the main battery.

7: Turn on the power.

8: Post back with an update for us.

Thanasis

Thanasis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
First of all, I have to just thank you for all your effort,
and secondly, do you mean unplug and then replug them or to buy them? 😉

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No need to purchase anything, using your computers user manual to help you please follow the exact steps that are detailed below;

HP G62-b15SV user manual here 

1: Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the main battery.

2: Ground yourself on a bare piece of metal then remove the Ram, see pages 50 and 51 of user manual.

3: Remove the RTC battery, see page 51 of user manual.

4: Press the notebooks power on button for 20 to 30 seconds to dispel any residual charge from within the notebook.

5: Replace only one stick of Ram and the RTC battery.

6: Replace only the AC adapter and not the main battery.

7: Turn on the power.

8: Post back with an update for us.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you Thanasis, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.