Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 bug?

startup settings windows 8.1 bug windows 8.1 shut down problem issue unique

• Please log in to reply

spoonyvoid

spoonyvoid

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi there Geeks2Go users!

I think I've discovered a windows 8.1 bug that is quite specific to be honest. Recently, I've been having problems with my HP Envy 15 clickpad and so I wanted to install the Synaptics generic drivers rather than rely on the OEM drivers (which are quite ridiculous). Now I couldn't do this since the drivers weren't digitally signed so I found out that I had to go to Change PC Settings -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup -> Troubleshooting -> Startup Settings and then disable the digital signature enforcement. So I did this and everything went fine. I managed to install my generic drivers and the clickpad is working well.

I was quite confused as to whether I had to go back to the same Startup Settings and enable the digital signature enforcement again, so I went back there. Now as I came upon the screen, I realized it was once again offering me the chance to disable digital signature enforcement, which was confusing so I decided to grab my phone and look it up (it was here that I learned that the computer went into a special kind of mode (when I did this earlier) where the digital signature enforcement was disabled and once I installed the generic drivers and the computer restarted, digital signatures were once again enforced).

Anyway, while I was on my phone, the computer just shut down. No warning, nothing. It just shut down. I decided to see if this was a one-time freak occurrence, so I went back there again (to the Startup Settings screen) and did nothing but watch the screen and it went off once again, just like that, no warning, no timer, nothing. 

I felt around my computer and it wasn't overheating, and I've been using it for quite some time right now and it hasn't surprise shut down yet either. So I think this is a Windows 8.1 bug.

Anyone willing to try this out to see if its a common problem? I'm using Windows 8.1 Single Language (64 Bit). My laptop is an HP Envy 15 j123tx.

Edited by spoonyvoid, 15 May 2015 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements