Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Permissions issue? Can't modify MS word docs in my folders

• Please log in to reply

ajones2703

ajones2703

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Guy's

I'm using Windows 7.

I've been tearing my hair out here. Been on Google for hours trying to work this out. If I have MS word docs in folders on my desktop I can't make any changes to them. They won't save. No warning sign comes up, they look like they have saved but another identical window comes up of the document with my changes on it, but it hasn't saved. I've read around and it looks like it might be a permission's issue? I've gone into the folder by right clicking on properties and going into both "sharing" and "security" to make recommended changes but nothing is working.

I even put my laptop back to original settings this weekend and it briefly solved the problems but they have come back again in the last 24 hrs.

I'm able to modify MS Word docs on the my desktop but not in ANY of the folders I have these docs in! Really frustrating and don't know what to do.

Any idea's?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Can you modify the docs if you move the folders elsewhere?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Currently being assisted here it transpires...

ajones2703

ajones2703

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for your help Ztrucker. I didn't think of doing that. Will give it a go.