Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no internet after W10 upgrade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

After waiting a month for my w10 notification, that never came. I went ahead and installed it. I checked Dell.com and it stated that my system(Inspiron running W8.1) was compatible with W10. Everything went ok, until the restart. I did not have internet connection, Ethernet or wireless. I uninstalled and reinstalled the realtek driver but still not working. I then, downloaded and installed the realtek driver for W10 but still no internet. When I check the status of both connections, realtek and Dell wireless. It says that there is no connectivity in IPv4 and IPv6. So, now I'm without connection and unable to activate W10. BTW, what is airplane mode? When I troubleshooted the connection W10 told me to check it and make sure it's off. However, I did not find this mode.

Thank You

Advertisements

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hi rigs,

Can you see the wired (Ethernet) and wireless (Wi-Fi) network adapters in Network Connections? (Search for View Network Connections after clicking on the Start button, or in the Cortana search box on the taskbar)

For Airplane Mode, click on the Notifications Icon on the Taskbar next to the clock. Then click Expand (if you see it), and you should see a button called Airplane mode. If it is active, it should be highlighted with your "accent color." If you can't make out if the Airplane mode's active or not, then click it once, and check to see if you can browse the internet.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Thank you for your reply....

yes, I do see both connections in the network connections window. When I enable either one. They show enable and working. When checking the status in both connections. Both showed the ipv4 and ipv6 as “not connected”. So, I guess they're working but not getting the internet signal..

about the “airplane mode” was not there and the only “tablet mode” was there. In my original message I forgot to mention my problem is on a desktop and not in laptop. Could that be why I don't see the “airplane mode”?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What is the full model number of your computer? Running 32 or 64 bit?

Please post a screen capture of a full screen Device Manager with Network Adapters expanded.

Also do this:

Open a Elevated Command Prompt:

Press WIN + X to open Start context menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin)​.

Paste the following into the Command Prompt window, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" | find /i "proxy" >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close. Post results in a reply here.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, my Dell desktop model is an Inspiron 3847 64.  maybe, my model wasn't ready for W10 and that's why I did not get a notification.  I checked with dell first, though. Everything seems to be working except the realtek driver.  Or, maybe, I downloaded the wrong driver...

anyway, here are the files you asked for.  Hopefully, I got them correctly....

Thank You

Attached Files

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

dude, never mind.  I went back to W8.1 and my network adapter is workiing, again.  I'm going to wait a bit to re-install it.  maybe, by then, my problem is no more................

thanks for replying

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I believe there have been some problems with Realtek drivers and Win 10. Waiting a few months is a good idea.

Syncmaster75

Syncmaster75

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

I had a similar problem with my upgrade from Win 7, also on a Realtek network adaptor. Updating the driver after the Win 10 upgrade won't work, but I found that by reverting to Win 7, then updating the Realtek driver and then re-installing Win 10 everything worked fine. I assume this should work for those updating from Win 8/8.1 as well, hope it helps!

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

yes, thank you.  I did upgrade my realtek driver after downgrading back to W8.1.  however, I'm hesitant to upgrade to  W10, again.  In the meantime, I'm waiting for my upgrade notification.  a question, how did you reinstalled W10?  I was going to do it a couple of days ago but I didn't know how............

Syncmaster75

Syncmaster75

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

I just waited for a couple of days til the upgrade notification came through again and then followed the link as I did the first time round. Make sure you run windows update a few times and power the pc off overnight - I think the upgrade comes through when you switch it back on, provided all the updates are in place.

Advertisements

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
it may be a winsock or tcp/ip problem. Run the following; only need to restart the system after running all three commands.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8 and 10.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8 or 10: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

yes, thank you.  I did upgrade my realtek driver after downgrading back to W8.1.  however, I'm hesitant to upgrade to  W10, again.  In the meantime, I'm waiting for my upgrade notification.  a question, how did you reinstalled W10?  I was going to do it a couple of days ago but I didn't know how............

Follow the directions here: Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation

abhishekkhanna

abhishekkhanna

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh my GOD! What is this problem? I am now scared to install it. Internet is the only thing I open my laptop for.
By the way this happened with me when I installed windows 7 from windows xp on my laptop. It was due to not installing properly or some other error. Then I restarted my laptop in safe mode and then again restarted it and everything was fine then :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

thank you

So I have to use the windows media creation tool, again, to reinstall W10?

I will try the winsock solution if I have the same network problem after reinstalling W10...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Use the Media Creation Tool to create a ISO or a flash drive so if you need to do this more than once you will not have to re-run the MCT.