Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Screen and Mode

• Please log in to reply

barnacle1

barnacle1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, my clock wasn't working well so i bought a lithium battery, when i opened up my laptop i couldn't see where one went so to prevent doing anything stupid?? i decided to put the thing back together...

I was quite careful, nothing broke, now when i switch it on, the screen is blank, but the actual computer is fine because i can hear the little sound when i reaches the desktop screen, without seeing it of course.

I can switch it on in safe mode and safe networking mode via an external monitor and get online, but not via the laptop screen.

I've tried system restore and last configuration, both achieved their own target, but as above, i still cannot see the desktop screen.

It seems strange that i can view the safe modes externally but not the normal mode.

In the last few days whilst trying to fix it, i'm getting vertical lines, sometimes part or full bright screens, and earlier i could just make out the taskbar along the bottom.

Is it possible i exposed something to daylight?

Hewlett Packard Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC. 32 bit.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by barnacle1, 25 October 2015 - 11:26 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,704 posts

:welcome:   barnacle1,

It sounds like the motherboard to screen ribbon/cable has become either loose or damaged, this because you have mentioned the following;

getting vertical lines, sometimes part or full bright screens, and earlier i could just make out the taskbar along the bottom.

Regarding getting a display on an external screen but only in Safe Mode, are you having to press the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys to be able to do so, sometimes it may be a single function key such as F4 or F5 on its own.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.