Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connection does not work

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Yesterday, I tried to use my wireless connection but surprisingly it did not work.  It was working a few days ago.  So, I don’t know what might of happened.  I don’t know if it was affected by a windows update or something else or when.  When checking the status window it shows that it’s enabled and running but no connection.  Basically, I’m having the same problem I had with my network card but now is the wireless.  I’m running a dell inspiron 3847 x64 desktop.  

thank you

Advertisements

Rikai

Rikai

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

What do you mean by "it's not working."? Does it show no available connections, does it list connections but you are unable to connect to them, or does it not show the card at all? 

Was this out of the blue, or did you recently install an application or Windows update?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Thank you for replying……….

My wireless does connect to my network but no data is sent or received.  Then, I look in the driver status and ipv4 and ipv6 show “not connected” (as shown below)  it shows available connections and it does show up in the network connections panel.  

I have not installed software since installing W10 (about a week ago) As for windows update, I don’t know which might of affected my wireless because they’re on automatic download and up to Friday.  I was using my wired connection.

After installing W10,  I checked my wireless connection for two consececutive days just to make sure that windows was working correctly and it was.  So, something happened in the days
between my last check and Friday.

I checked insttalled updates and there are four updates that installed after W10 installation.  my question is, can I uninstall these updates one at the time and see that one theese might have caused my problem.  will it hurt my system and if one these updates did cause my problem.  what do I do? updates have to be installed, right?

Thank You

wifi1.jpg

Edited by rigs, 14 December 2015 - 02:33 PM.

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Windows 10 updates, particularly the Fall Update (AKA 1511 or 10586) is becoming notorious for breaking WiFi.

If you have not gone to the support website for the specific computer on which this breakage has occurred and checking whether there is an updated driver for your WiFi card that's Win 10 compatible that's the first thing I'd do.

I really cannot believe just how frequently this is happening.  You're far from alone!