Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router internet through wifi but not ethernet (Resolved)

No lan connection Router Wifi No internet connection Failed connection Modem Ethernet Lan

Best Answer Exeiant , 17 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

It got solved, i dont know if calling tech support was the answer but now i have internet. Thank you for your assistance Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Exeiant

Exeiant

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, this morning at about 10:00 am i turned on my pc and noticed i had no internet connection even though i did had internet through wifi. It worked today at 1:00 am so i wondered if it was my 10 meter ethernet cable because it had already broke in the past since i have a solid cable and it broke right at the plug part, got a stranded plug and thought that was the problem so i changed it for a solid one to no avail, plugged this same ethernet to a laptop making sure it wasn't my pc and still no connection, so i decide to try all the router ports but none worked. I decided to try other 2 short ethernet cables on the laptop with each and every port but i still couldn't get internet through lan. My desktop has no wifi and i made sure to turn off the antenna of the laptop before making all those failed attempts. I have no technica knowledge whatsoever so i will need specific steps. Thanks for your attention

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Exeiant,

Couple of questions if I may;

i turned on my pc and noticed i had no internet connection even though i did had internet through wifi. 

BTW, I am taking this to be your notebook as your desktop does not have wi-fi, were you actually able to connect to the internet to check emails etc or was the notebook just showing an active wi-fi signal on the task bar.

Do you get a dial tone when you pick up the telephone.

Exeiant

Exeiant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

:welcome:   Exeiant,

Couple of questions if I may;

i turned on my pc and noticed i had no internet connection even though i did had internet through wifi. 

BTW, I am taking this to be your notebook as your desktop does not have wi-fi, were you actually able to connect to the internet to check emails etc or was the notebook just showing an active wi-fi signal on the task bar.

Do you get a dial tone when you pick up the telephone.

Well i don't have a phone, my internet provider doesn't require a phone. I turned on the desktop and had no internet there, but i knew we had internet because i was using my cellphone and my sister her ipad, and i have been using the internet through wifi all day. You know, looking for a fix.

Exeiant

Exeiant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, i had internet by lan for about an hour from 4 to 5 pm, i valled the technical support from my cellphone but they put me in wait for around 14 minutes, hurray. They filed my call so they will call me back. Anyways, right now it's 8:52 pm here and still no lan but wifi working well (btw i can get acces to my router page even when i have no internet so the cable is definetly not the problem)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You having wireless connection points towards a problem with either the lan on the router or the lan port or drivers on the notebook.

If your desktop has a lan port try it, if it works ok your router is ok and the notebook needs looking at.

Exeiant

Exeiant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I had the lan on the desktop all this time, i used the notebook to see if it was my desktop port or the cable or the router, the fact is that the cable and port are working because i can access the router page but i don't have internet still

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You can access a router without being connected to the internet, see here

Exeiant

Exeiant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My point is that neither the cable nor the ports on each end are defective because i have acces to the router page. So any fix? Since i still have wifi but not local area lan internet?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Try a hard reset of the router by powering it down and unplugging all connections from it, disconnect the lan from the computer and leave both off for around 30 minutes, reconnect and restart the router, reconnect the lan to the desktop computer and test.

Please keep the notebook shut down when you do the above.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Exeiant, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Exeiant

Exeiant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
✓  Best Answer
It got solved, i dont know if calling tech support was the answer but now i have internet. Thank you for your assistance

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup: