Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8-minute boot time on ssd, and lots of apps' startup impact "n

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

shootdrawwrite

shootdrawwrite

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I've disabled/uninstalled a bunch of stuff I decided I don't need, but Windows 10 still takes at least 8 minutes from cold boot or restart. And, I'm wondering why startup impact for 34/45 of my apps still show up as not measured. I've been runnnig Windows 10 for over a month.

How can I isolate which processes are slowing down my startup time without a lengthy trial-and-error session?

2016-01-13_10-23-57.jpg

Edited by shootdrawwrite, 13 January 2016 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Let's see shall we?

Have you cleaned your temp folder recently? This can become boggled with stuff overtime which can lead to one of your problems, but if you didn't scan your computer does not matter if it's only ESET viruses can still get onto your system. A few I have recommended are Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, Junkware Removal Tool and Adwcleaner. With an SSD I would highly suspect it's a malware related problem.

shootdrawwrite

shootdrawwrite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks. I ran all of those and they found stuff. Boot is now ~6 minutes.

When I finally reach the desktop it doesn't quite load all the way. Some icons in the notification area don't appear, my temp monitors are frozen, color profile doesn't load. When I launch Chrome however, it seems to kick things into gear.

Any further recommendations?

Angoid

Angoid

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 233 posts

Six minutes boot time for Windows 10 is way too long, especially if on an SSD.

Looking at your screenshot, the first ones to question are those that don't have a manufacturer.  These are:

Program

SpyderUtility 1.2.3

BitMeter 2.exe

rainmeter.exe

Who are they by and what are they for?  It might seem obvious (for example 'rainmeter' is probably some kind of weather application, especially with its raindrop icon but is it really?  Why is the manufacturer reluctant to reveal itself?  And what is the one called 'program'?

Get hold of the free Ccleaner - https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and run that.  It will clear out a lot of junk files, that may speed things up somewhat.

A couple of "do not"s for you though:

1) Don't run the registry cleaner unless you know what you're doing and understand what it will do.

2) Don't defrag your drive - it's an SSD and all this will do is shorten its life without giving anything in return.

Have you recently had a malware attack?  I agree with EmishOrc, this is likely to be the result of a malware attack but let's see if a simple system clean improves things in the first instance.  The programs he recommends are all worth running.

Is this a new Win 10 install or an upgrade?

If an upgrade, what was performance like before?

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I agree with Angoid ^ Defragging an SSD would shorten it a lot. Also I agree with him, because the Registry is for us people who know how to get around it. 

I can see it's Windows 10 that revamped menu I highly recognized if he was on build 11082, 11099, or 14xxx or something there would be a lot of issues with wifi issues and performance. I don't know though? Have you got a lot of programs? How much RAM do you have installed and see if they're working properly?