Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Bootable device message

• Please log in to reply

L1nd@

L1nd@

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

I have also put this problem in windows 10 sorry I am not sure where I should put this.

Yesterday my Lenovo  G780 laptop started getting a blue screen with the message unexpected store exception critical process died it would then after a time reboot and i would get the message no bootable device insert bootdisc & press any other key I found if i left this it would eventually start up again but whilst doing searches to find out the problem it would go back to the blue screen again with the same message has above. Today i have turned the laptop on and it says check cable connection PXE-MOF: exiting intel PXE ROM. no bootable device-- insert boot disc and press any key I cannot get past this screen can anybody help with this please Thankyou in advance for any replies. 

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sounds like the hard drive has failed.  Go in to the BIOS setup and see if it sees the hard drive.

I think you get into the BIOS setup with F2 or the Novo button next to the power button.

L1nd@

L1nd@

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi First of all thank you for your reply, The hard drive was replaced 13 months ago when it went that time there was a noise this time there is no noise. I have pressed f2 has  you asked sorry I dont know anything about bios so dont know if that is the bios page i was on, this is what I have on that page 

UEFI BOOT ENABLED

EFI BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY SATA ODD : PLDS DVD-RW DS8A8SH NETWORK BOOT: ATHEROS BOOT AGENT

once again thankyou

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I found the user manual for the laptop.

It says:

To start the BIOS setup utility: 1 Shut down the computer. 2 Press the Novo button and then select BIOS Setup

Then on a forum I found this:

you will have a choice  

normal boot

enter bios setup

enter boot device priority

system recovery

If you select Enter bios setup there should be a page that shows the hard drive.

For what it is worth the error you reported at the beginning:

check cable connection PXE-MOF: exiting intel PXE ROM. no bootable device-- insert boot disc and press any key 

Means it didn't find the hard drive, there was nothing in the DVD, no USB boot devic so it falls back to a network boot which also fails 

L1nd@

L1nd@

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Sorry but I haven't a clue what or where the novo button is ? Thankyou

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

It's supposed to be a small button next to the power button.  If it's not there I suppose you can try holding or tapping F2 from a cold start

L1nd@

L1nd@

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi and once again thankyou I found the novo button but it doesn't work unfortunately  just takes me to the same screen as the start button does. Pressed F2 and says no hard drive ? looks like a trip to the comp shop to get it fixed annoying has this will be the second hard drive in just over a year the laptop is 3 years old so has had 3 hard drives grr my lprevious laptop went on forever and is still working haa

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Not sure what size you want but suggest you buy the disk yourself and just let the shop load it for you.  Save their mark up.

I would get a Western Digital Black.  They have a 5 year warranty and aren't that much more than the Blue:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-500GB-Performance-Laptop-Drive/dp/B00QFXOL5G/ref=dp_ob_title_ce     $50.50

L1nd@

L1nd@

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

a little bit more expensive in the uk Thankyou once again 

http://www.amazon.co..._=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts