Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W10 Intermittent Black Screen Issue On Startup After Upgrade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

missy_manic

missy_manic

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

I upgraded my mum's HP Notebook (15-r110na - see http://bit.ly/1X0pl9p) at the weekend - Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Everything seemed to go fine but the next day when I went to turn on the laptop, all I got was a black screen. The hard drive started up, the keypad lit-up and the fans started but the screen was black. I had to restart the laptop a couple of times until the screen finally came to life and I logged into Windows as normal.

This problem keeps happening intermittently though... Sometimes I can turn on the laptop and everything will work fine straight away (although it seems to take much longer to login than it did on Windows 8.1 - it's ages before the login screen appears). Other times, I'll get the black screen straight away and have to force the laptop to restart.

This only started happening after I upgraded to Windows 10.

A couple of other things that may or may not be relevant...

The laptop is plugged into a socket gang extension lead, which is NOT surge protected. A printer and table lamp are also on this extension. A few hours after installing Windows 10 (and the laptop had restarted a few times with no problems), I unplugged this extension lead without flicking the power off first. I then plugged it back in and the table lamp (obviously) came back on. I seem to remember seeing the laptop screen flicker at the same moment. Could I have damaged the laptop somehow by doing this? Did I cause some kind of surge?

Also, when the laptop is just running on battery, it seems to start-up faster than when it is plugged in. Have I damaged the power lead?

Basically, I'm wondering whether the black screen is caused by the Windows 10 upgrade or whether I damaged the laptop when I plugged the power lead back in? The fact that even when I don't get a black screen, the laptop now takes ages to get to the Windows login screen makes me think it's more to do with a driver or something... but I'm now being paranoid! (Incidentally, I haven't updated any drivers/software after upgrading to Windows 10).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Missy.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:    missy_manic,

Any type of power surge would have fried something beyond repair so take it easy on yourself, just remember to never do it again  ;)

You are not the first person to have encountered Windows 10 upgrade problems and you will not be the last, try rolling back to Windows 8.1 and see if that resolves the issue, see guide here if all is well you could try upgrading again in the future like others have done and had no trouble second time around.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

^ Those problems have been around way before Build 10240 released as an RTM. It ends up on a nightmare through laptops.

Edited by EmishOrc, 03 February 2016 - 04:13 AM.