Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet explorer stopped working (Resolved)

internet explorer 11

Best Answer bestbigdon , 11 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner .......I went back to what you first said . ( A security setting or anti virus problem are my first thoughts btw ) So I changed a few security settings . re-... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

bestbigdon

bestbigdon

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Trouble going to some web sites. I get an error message " INETRNET EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING " A PROBLEM CAUSED THE PROGRAM TO STOP WORKING CORRECTLY. WINDOWS WILL CLOSE THE PROGRAM AND NOTIFY YOU IF A SOLUTION IS AVAILABLE.

Advertisements

bestbigdon

bestbigdon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

also  I am using windows 8.1    I have a Gateway  DX4885  

3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

11956 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   bestbigdon,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

A security setting or anti virus problem are my first thoughts btw.

Tip

Do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped.

bestbigdon

bestbigdon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...FCBXw0a6oGh8qzZ

Is this what you wanted ??  I hope this works..  I have never used your site before .

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the url bestbigdon  :thumbsup:

The only thing that stands out in Speccy is the fact that you have Google, IE and Opera all installed, Google or Opera could be tripping up IE, do you actually use all three, if not let us know which you prefer so we can test the system without the other two.

Couple of other points, never noticed any games installed but did see Punkbuster, did you install this, Java, if you do not use this uninstall it, if you do on occasion need it to run for a particular program to work keep it but disable when not in use and check for updates when ever you do need to use it, this because it is deemed a security risk.

bestbigdon

bestbigdon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

thank you for any and all help with this. I got rid of Punkbuster.

The only google I can find is Google Advertising Cookie Opt out  and  Google Earth Pro . I can and will uninstall the advertising cookie opt out  .  I did not find Google Chrome .

I do have Mozilla Firefox , I don't use Mozilla Firefox too much , only when IE don't act right.

I do use OPERA.   I  play Vegas Nights and Straws  on http://www.gsn.com/ . This browser  ( OPERA ) lets me make the play area larger than any of the other browsers. .

I ran a FULL SCAN with Windows Defender and It did not detect any problems.

Again  I want to thank you for helping me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Odd as unless my eyesight is failing I see no mention of Mozilla FF in your Speccy report.

Below is a list of items of scheduled scans, they should all be disabled/uninstalled and you decide when and what gets updated, less chance of problems like this that way;

Scheduler
2/9/2016 12:44 PM;: 
WpsUpdateTask_Don
2/9/2016 12:51 PM;: 
WpsNotifyTask_Don
2/9/2016 1:22 PM;: 
GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
2/9/2016 1:23 PM;: 
Adobe Flash Player Updater
2/9/2016 3:22 PM;: 
GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
2/10/2016 12:05 PM;: 
Opera scheduled Autoupdate 1445658567
2/12/2016 7:06 PM;: 
Adobe Flash Player PPAPI Notifier
3/1/2016 4:56 PM;: 
ALUAgent

AcerCloud

Adobe Acrobat Update Task

ALU

Hotkey Utility

Open URL by RoboForm

Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-3993554845-3119600395-1701654872-1001

Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-3993554845-3119600395-1701654872-500

Run RoboForm TaskBar Icon

Disable IE and stick with Opera for a while for testing purposes.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, then click Search.)

2. Enter Windows features in the search box, tap or click Settings, then tap or click Turn Windows features on or off.

3. In the Windows Features dialogue box, untick the Internet Explorer 11 checkbox.

You are welcome btw  :)

bestbigdon

bestbigdon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer

I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner .......I went back to what you first said . ( A security setting or anti virus problem are my first thoughts btw ) So I changed a few security settings . re-started the computer    !! ....PROBLEM SOLVED...  !!  Thanks for the help .  I thought it was a virus  but all scans came up empty. 

Good to know there are places to go to get good advice without paying out the a**  just to ask a couple questions.

Thanks again and I can mark this solved

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No problem bestbigdon, we understand that you have other things to deal with in life  :yes:

Glad to hear that we were able to help and thank you for letting us know that the issue was now resolved  :thumbsup:

One final nag from me, if not done already, please make sure that you have created a new restore point now that the computer is stable.

You are welcome btw  :)