Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sons Laptop, Keyboard n Power lights ON, Fan running No Display, No ex

display boot hp laptop

• Please log in to reply

wattavatta

wattavatta

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,

My sons laptop screen went completely black. All the lights and fan are on but no display. I've tried hooking it to an external monitor but I cant get a picture. The funny thing is he let the battery die then restarted it and the screen came on and stayed on until he shut it down again. He repeated this pattern 3 times until finally it will not come back on no matter what. Just the lights on the keyboard and fan are on. And like I said external monitor will not work either. I have tried everything on HPs troubleshooting website at the link below, except sending it to HP with zero success. Can anyone help me before I have to carry it to a repair shop?

http://h20564.www2.h...mr_na-c01997899

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   wattavatta,

This Tech assistance only as I am not qualified or permitted to advise on anything related to malware removal.

You have followed each of the steps at the HP link but can I just confirm that when you tried the external screen that you tried toggling between displays by pressing down together the Fn and F4 (sometimes F5) key, it is important that when you do this that after powering up the notebook you give it a couple of minutes to allow for what normally is the POST (power on self test) procedure to complete.

When you reply can you let us know if tapping any of the following keys after restarting the notebook changes the behavior in any way Esc, F1, F2, F8, F10, F11 or F12 and whether or not the notebook normally emits a single beep when it has booted up.

wattavatta

wattavatta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you for replying.

I just tried hooking it to an external monitor again making sure to do what you suggested unfortunately it still didn't help.

None of the F keys made the computer do anything different.

Now that you mention it, it seems like it used to beep after turning it on but I just noticed its not beeping at all now. What's that mean? its not really booting all the way ?

Thanks for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
 I just tried hooking it to an external monitor again making sure to do what you suggested unfortunately it still didn't help.

None of the F keys made the computer do anything different.

Both points acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Now that you mention it, it seems like it used to beep after turning it on but I just noticed its not beeping at all now. What's that mean? its not really booting all the way ?

Computers that have an integrated MB speaker will normally emit a single beep when the computer has passed the POST, the following will only be relevant if there is definitely an integrated BIOS speaker on the MB, the first test that you should do is to remove the Ram and then power up the notebook to see if you get any error beeps, no beeps means that the problem is before the Ram with the power supply and MB being the most likely culprits, if you do get error beeps then it suggests that the Ram and memory slots are ok and that the problem may be** after they have been checked, in the case of a notebook the video chip then becomes the most likely candidate.

** MBs that have integrated graphics will often rely on the Ram for support and it is possible for a loose or flaky stick of Ram to prevent a computer from passing the POST and result in having no graphics output.

Please refer to the Test for memory module problems section of your link here can you use the information there to completely remove the Ram then power up to see if you get any error beeps, do nothing else but post back and let us know the outcome + whether you have one or two sticks of Ram.

You are welcome btw  :)

wattavatta

wattavatta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have 2 sticks of ram 2GB each.

No beeps at all from the laptop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not getting any error beeps with the Ram removed does not look promising but as said earlier you would only hear them if there was definitely an onboard speaker present.

What to try next, bit of repetition I`m afraid, remove the battery and AC adapter, press the power on button for 20 to 30 seconds, replace one stick of Ram only, connect the AC adapter, power up and see what happens, if no joy, power down, try the same stick of Ram in the second memory slot and again power up and see what happens, repeat the process with only the second stick of Ram in each slot then post back with an update for us.

If no change after checking out the Ram and memory slots, when you reply can you include the model name or number of the HP notebook so we can check out how to remove the HDD.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

As this appears to be a technical issue I have moved the topic to this forum.

Majorwil

Majorwil

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

My sons laptop screen went completely black. All the lights and fan are on but no display. I've tried hooking it to an external monitor but I cant get a picture. The funny thing is he let the battery die then restarted it and the screen came on and stayed on until he shut it down again. He repeated this pattern 3 times until finally it will not come back on no matter what. Just the lights on the keyboard and fan are on. And like I said external monitor will not work either. I have tried everything on HPs troubleshooting website at the link below, except sending it to HP with zero success. Can anyone help me before I have to carry it to a repair shop?

http://h20564.www2.h...mr_na-c01997899

Hi

I was having the same problem.  On Thursday morning the 25th at 3AM my system did a windows update and when I tried to use my PC the screen came up for the password but after entry, the screen went black.  I unplugged it and did a safe mode boot up.  In safe mode I did a backup and restore to the previous restore point.  That allowed the system to start from a point before the update.  It did the same thing again last night at 3 AM and I had to restore again today.  I am going to stop automatic updates today and see what keeps attempting to update so that I can notify Microsoft of the issue directly. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Still waiting to hear back from wattavatta but thank you for your contribution to the thread Majorwill  :)

Thanks also to emeraldnzl for moving the thread  :thumbsup: