Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop infected by malware

• Please log in to reply

tanolog

tanolog

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, my laptop is infected by malware. At startup, there will be messages popping up saying that "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application." which apply to PLFSetI.exe etc(I believe they are the startup services). I can't gain access to regedit, cmd and taskmanager. I also cannot open the EXE files. After scanning the laptop with Windows Defender Offline and removing the trojan and worm, the same problem remains. Please advise me on how to solve this problem. Thank you.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Replying for rkinner due to a server issue:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Download the attached fixexe.zip file and save it.  
Attached File  fixexe.zip   408bytes   159 downloads
Right click and Extract All.  Find fixexe.inf and right click on it and Install.  OK.
Reboot.

If that doesn't help then see if you can get OTL.com or OTL.scr to work.

OTL.com: http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.com
OTL.scr: http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.scr

Download, Save, Right Click and Run As admin (unless it's XP then double click)  You will probably get both logs.  Copy and paste both of them into a reply.

tanolog

tanolog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

(1) For the first step(install fixexe.inf), there is UAC prompt and I click 'continue' but nothing happened. After rebooting the laptop, the same problem remains.

(2) Running both OTL.com and OTL.scr also dont work and the logs you mentioned did not appear.

For your information, the OS is windows Vista