Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MacBook Pro keeps restarting and doesn't allow OSX to install—TRIE

macbook pro osx osx install system install software hardware restart reboot

• Please log in to reply

Tony Nogaj

Tony Nogaj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a faulty MacBook Pro which needs system reinstall, but keeps shutting down and just does not want to work!
Things already tried which failed:
  1. wipe and reload / installing the system from the beginning (using USB, downloaded from torrent, and other places. 3 different systems, Lion, Mavericks, and Leopard)
  2. wiping the hard drive completely and partitioning 
  3. resetting PRAM and SMC several times, still shuts down without completing install -- OR -- restarts and begins the install once again, going in a never-ending loop.
Notes:
  1. Most times, in order to turn it on, you need to first remove the charging cable, press and keep power button, and then re-plug the cable
  2. It does not charge at all. The charger needs to be connected to power on. (like a desktop would)
Considering all of the above, I am afraid it is not a software issue, but rather a hardware one. Who can help me determine and make completely sure where the problem lies? 

Every technical detail will be provided by me, just ask. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    Tony Nogaj,

Based on the following you most certainly need a new battery;

It does not charge at all. The charger needs to be connected to power on. (like a desktop would)

The following could be a sign that the DC jack port is worn or damaged, is it securely connected to the computer, does the DC jack plug fit snugly or is it loose when plugged in, any signs of damage to the port, jack plug or charger etc.

Most times, in order to turn it on, you need to first remove the charging cable, press and keep power button, and then re-plug the cable

Once on does the computer stay on until you try and install an OS and only then does it shut off.