Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infinite apostrophes

• Please log in to reply

mmcook

mmcook

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am not sure what the problem is, but today, when the computer booted up, any time I tried to enter anything into any text box, the computer would start to enter apostrophes.  Basically """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" endlessly.

I did not even have to type anything for this to happen.  It started happening immediately when I clicked on any text box. Sometimes I did not even have to click on a text box.  The apostrophes would just start if there was anywhere on the screen that text could have been entered.  It also happens when I open Microsoft Word, the word document just starts filling up with apostrophes immediately without my even typing anything.  

I thought it was the keyboard, but switching out the keyboard did not fix the problem.  It also occurs even when no keyboard is hooked up to the computer at all.  I can still use a mouse and the internet seems to work, but I can't type anything because it just starts filling in with """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I'm asking this question from a different computer obviously.  I ran Malwarebytes but it detected no problems.  I did a System Restore back to a week ago, but the problem still persisted.  Now I have no idea what is causing it or what to do.

Help?  

Advertisements

Angoid

Angoid

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 233 posts
Hi mmcook,

This doesn't sound like the work of malicious software to me, more like the work of a faulty keyboard.

Try swapping the keyboards over - if the problem switches over to the other computer, then you'll know it's the keyboard that's at fault.
I've only ever seen this behaviour before if the keyboard has been faulty or I've spilled something down it.

A number of years ago, when virus writing was the domain of "bored" kids, it might have been possible. But today's malicious software is powered by criminal big business. Therefore, the question is, Why would anybody write a virus to do this?