Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accessing file in iPhone4

• Please log in to reply

tdokl2

tdokl2

• Pip
  • 9 posts

On my iphone4 I've got a scanner app (Pixter) that saves ocr text as pdf.

I want to be able to access those files from my LinuxMint PC.

Where are the files on the Iphone and what do I use to see that on the PC?

TY

edit typo

Edited by tdokl2, 18 March 2016 - 04:58 AM.

Advertisements

KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Probably the simplest one would be to use iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, or some other cloud-based storage solution. Simply upload the files to your storage provider, and then download them to your computer.

tdokl2

tdokl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

ok, also I could send it to myself as an email. Pixter allows that. It is not ideal though. It includes extra steps and costs in a sequence I'd prefer to be : take pic, run ocr, download to text editor, edit > use in doc, quickly, at any time without any outside of phone and pc steps on a Linux PC. If I use windows I can use iTunes backups and use programs that can extract the relevant files (or so I understand from writeups on the web) which involves a dual boot or two pc's and back and forth...

What I'm hoping is that I can do this the way I want to. I'll accept it if I cannot, but...

tdokl2

tdokl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

If I got a wifi card and set up my pc as a mailserver then I could mail the pdf from the iPhone directly to my self on an intranet without having to rely on any outside service. ???

I'd prefer a cable solution.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

what have you tried so far? does mint see the iphone when you connect it to the pc's usb port?

here's a couple of links that should help you.

https://wiki.archlin.../index.php/IPod

https://help.ubuntu....eDevices/iPhone

sorry don't have access to an iphone to test things and offer you step by step instructions but those links should hold all the info you need to be able to mount the iphone and gain access to any files on there.

:popcorn:

tdokl2

tdokl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Now :

Using Amarok:

Connecting to iPhone, iPad or iPod touch failed.

determined mount-point path to /tmp/kde-aa/amarok/imobiledevice_uuid_c0410462da7ad0c3429a71b2c32dd8e7c5ee3cb1
created /tmp/kde-aa/amarok/imobiledevice_uuid_c0410462da7ad0c3429a71b2c32dd8e7c5ee3cb1 directory
calling `ifuse "-u" "c0410462da7ad0c3429a71b2c32dd8e7c5ee3cb1" "-ofsname=afc://c0410462da7ad0c3429a71b2c32dd8e7c5ee3cb1" "/tmp/kde-aa/amarok/imobiledevice_uuid_c0410462da7ad0c3429a71b2c32dd8e7c5ee3cb1"` with timeout of 10s
ifuse: No device found, is it connected?
ifuse: If it is make sure that your user has permissions to access the raw usb device.
ifuse: If you're still having issues try unplugging the device and reconnecting it.
ifuse:
command exited with non-zero return code 1
Failed to mount iPhone on /tmp/kde-aa/amarok/imobiledevice_uuid_c0410462da7ad0c3429a71b2c32dd8e7c5ee3cb1

Dolphin:

Unknown error code 150
Unspecified error
Please send a full bug report at http://bugs.kde.org.

It has in the past sometimes connected but then only the camera contents are visible. The scanner apps output (pdf file) is not.

I'll be going to sleep shortly and will be back tomorrow.  Thanks for input.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

like i said no iphone myself so can't test things to find out why something doesn't work.

what version ios is on your iphone 4?
did you install libimobiledevice along with any other need dependencies?

going to bed myself but will look more into things later and see if i can find some simple way to do what you want.

as a quick thought why not run itunes on windows in a vm such as virtualbox on your mint system, then you can simply copy the files between both windows and mint or maybe just run itunes in playonlinux (wine front end.)

tdokl2

tdokl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Libmob... and all deps, the whole package, is installed automatically when installing the OS. It's at latest version. Mint 17. ..
Iphone4's iOS version 7.

I see no way iTunes can access the Pixter pdf files directly. I've read there are ways to dismantle a backup once it's made by itunes. I don't want to do a backup etc just to access one or two particular app files.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

pity. thought itunes could access every file on an iphone and it was just a question of looking through the folders until you found where they were stored.

see if this guide helps you :- http://www.dedoimedo...x-iphone-6.html

starting from here :-

It's a lengthy one, so bear with me. First, let's install several tools and programs, which we will require in a bit. Some of these utilities may already be installed, and in some distros they might not be available, and you will have to use unofficial repos and PPAs.

sudo apt-get install ideviceinstaller python-imobiledevice libimobiledevice-utils libimobiledevice4 libplist2 python-plist ifuse

or this guide :- http://itsfoss.com/m...7-ubuntu-13-10/

Edited by terry1966, 19 March 2016 - 07:40 PM.

tdokl2

tdokl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I tried one of the suggestions and broke the OS. I've noted this before when trying out things that aren't specifically for the particular thing one tries to do. I spent the last hours reinstalling the OS and setting it up.

I have an iPhone4 running iOS 7

I have PC running LinuxMint 17.1

On the iPhone I have an app called Pixter that takes photos  and runs an ocr which produces a pdf.

I want to be able to, in as few steps as possible, as simply as possible, without using anything but a cable between the two appliances, download the pdf from the iPhone4 to the PC to use in various documents.

What I do is I set about writing something while also referring to books.

Sometimes I find a paragraph I want to quote.

Rather than typing it I want to be able to simply take a snap of the text with the iPhone4, ocr it and zip it into the doc I'm writing.

I'm hoping there is a ready way that one can do this with the iPhone4 and the PC using a cable.

[ Failing that there seems to be plenty of documentation on how to set up a private mailserver in Linux. If I did that and installed a WiFi card in the PC it should be possible to use the Pixter feature of sending the pdf to myself by WiFi as an email. ]

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

I tried one of the suggestions and broke the OS. I've noted this before when trying out things that aren't specifically for the particular thing one tries to do. I spent the last hours reinstalling the OS and setting it up.

sorry to hear that, even though i don't see anything in those links that should of broken your os.

I want to be able to, in as few steps as possible, as simply as possible, without using anything but a cable between the two appliances, download the pdf from the iPhone4 to the PC to use in various documents.

I'm hoping there is a ready way that one can do this with the iPhone4 and the PC using a cable.

well first thing that would be needed is for mint to actual see and access the iphone when it's plugged in so unless you can get that to happen then you won't be able to transfer files by just simply plugging in the phone to the pc and using mints file manager.

i can think of lots of ways to achieve what your trying to do but not having an iphone and not knowing what apps are available to it i can't test and offer any definite solutions, all would be some type of remote file transfer like KaoticEvil first suggested to you.

maybe an app like this remote file transfer one is your easiest solution. :- https://itunes.apple...d626591824?mt=8

or maybe this browser based app :- https://itunes.apple...d898129576?mt=8

so until your capable of getting mint and the phone to talk to each other when connected by cable then using a 3rd party app is probably going to be your best and easiest solution.

think i'd try that xender app seeing how it's supposed to work like airdroid, which is an app i've used before on android phones and it worked very well.

tdokl2

tdokl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

That's ok. It needed to be done anyway. Fortunately I had backed up recently so only lost a couple of things.

Apparently the xwindows manager ran up against some brick wall.

I've managed to get regular reliable access to the photos on the iPhone just by plugging in the USB cable, waiting to tell the phone to trust the PC and then opening the file manager by clicking on the 'Portable Media Player' option to open it.

I installed tesseract-ocr and gImageReader in Mint and can ocr the photos I take with the iPhone. I can now easily transfer photos to (and from) the PC and the iPhone. Any other files are not available. (atm)

As the point of this is to not use any exterior services, I think ocr'ing on the PC may be the best solution.

I stll would like to explore the local wifi mailserver thing. It sounds like an interesting exercise with many uses.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

I've managed to get regular reliable access to the photos on the iPhone just by plugging in the USB cable, waiting to tell the phone to trust the PC and then opening the file manager by clicking on the 'Portable Media Player' option to open it.

I installed tesseract-ocr and gImageReader in Mint and can ocr the photos I take with the iPhone. I can now easily transfer photos to (and from) the PC and the iPhone. Any other files are not available. (atm)

:thumbsup:

I stll would like to explore the local wifi mailserver thing. It sounds like an interesting exercise with many uses.

can't say i've ever run my own mailserver, what i have setup and use though is my own ftp server to transfer files between any devices from anywhere in the world.

personally i use opensuse distro.

i'd still give that xender app a try though if it's a free app, and if it works like airdroid the devices connect to each other directly through the router and you just need to know the pc's local ip address (eg. 192.168.0.2) if memory serves (they probably will even connect with just the cable connection, memories not great so not 100% sure now.) and then you could transfer any type of file you liked using your web browser, i used to use airdroid to put a video or 2 on my phone to watch when i was out.

Edited by terry1966, 21 March 2016 - 03:04 AM.

tdokl2

tdokl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Taking a snap and ocr'ing it on the PC is quite simply the simplest way.  All I need is a camera, a cable and a pc/laptop.

My interest now is peripheral to all that, which is to set up an intranet mail server.

Later.

If you remember, or if anyone else does it, let me know how it goes with your suggestions.

TY.

tdokl2

tdokl2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Unintentionally, I found something that seems to work.

Nautilus 3.10.1 on Zorin 9.1 !

I was just playing around with Zorin and plugged the usb cable into the iPhone and BAM, there is 'documents on iPhone' and straight into Pixter and the PDF I wanted.

I'll be...

Anyway, Zorin's pretty good. Compiz Cube straight out of the box for only $0.00. A real bargain for the first Linux distro I feel really good about. So good that while I'm grabbing a torrent of the 'ultimate' version I have a twinge, just a little one, of guilt for not paying the 15 bucks the Zorin team are asking for it. The guilt is somewhat assauged by having a pretty and buggy install and I'll advertise it. I may get around to buying v.11 'ultimate' when that proves stable. Anyway, when connecting the iPhone, rhythmbox pops up and the sound on the streaming video om mozilla cuts out and the torrent freezes. I pop into system manager, to sound, and reset that and can't figure out how to resume the torrent so I just click around and find that when I double click on the bar showing the download in KTorrent Gwenview pops up on desktop 4. I close it and try again and it pops up again and the torrent resumes. Most amusing.

Oh well, there it is.   Later.]

The blue rod points at the Pixter icon in Nautilus as it also appears in the iPhone. Clicking on it navigates down to folder holding the PDF

zorin02_zpsl0pbdyxs.png

Edited by tdokl2, 23 April 2016 - 10:03 AM.