Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Merging MP4 files

MP4 Merger VLC

• Please log in to reply

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Hi,

I am trying to merge four MP4 files into one file for use as one educational video, and I am looking for a free and open-source program for this purpose.

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

I use VLC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hari

Advertisements

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hello Hari Prahlad,

If your files have the same dimensions you can give Avidemux a try I used it a long time ago and it did the job, if your files have different dimensions I don't think avidemux will work though.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Hello Hari Prahlad,

If your files have the same dimensions you can give Avidemux a try I used it a long time ago and it did the job, if your files have different dimensions I don't think avidemux will work though.

Thank you for your reply and apologies for the delayed response.

They are all videos pertaining to medicine (radiology) of different sizes and I would like them to be merged into one file.

I will try out Avidemux and tell you if it serves the purpose.

Thanks once again.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

I'm tech challenged and that page intimidates me.  :upset:

All that 32 bit and 64 bit stuff makes me scratch my head.

PS.  You are trying to educate a senior citizen who was born in the gramophone record age. :upset:

I'm trying to do this for my wife who is a doctor--radiologist--who has to teach postgrad students.

Edited by Hari Prahlad, 24 March 2016 - 12:12 AM.

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I will go into more detail for you.

Step 1 - Verify if 32-bit or 64-bit

• Click the Start button located in the bottom left corner.
  • Right click Computer and click Properties.
  • Under the System category look for System type, Remember the number either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Step 2 - Download Avidemux

• Click here to download Avidemux 32-bit.
  • Click here to download Avidemux 64-bit.
  • Once you have downloaded the correct installer proceed to step 3.

Step 3 - Install Avidemux

• Double click the installer you downloaded then click Run, Click Yes to the UAC popup. 
  • Click next, I agree, next, next, next,  install. Untick View Change log now then click Finish.

Step 4 - Using Avidemux to join files

• Click File located in the top left then click Open, locate your first file and double click it.
  • Click File located in the top left then click Append, locate your second file and double click it.
  • After the above step one of two things will happen, you'll either get a error or you won't. If you get a error unfortunately this won't work for you as your files are different, if you don't get a error you can proceed.
  • On the left side locate Output Format, Change it from AVI Muxer to MP4 Muxer.
  • Click File located in the top left then click Save, give your file a name and change the location to where ever you like and click Save.
  • Once it is done your 2 files will be joined together.

If Avidemux came up with a error it means your files have different settings you'll instead need a program which will re-encode the media, unfortunately I haven't tried any others but maybe give Handbrake a look.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Thank you so much.  Will give it a try and get back to you.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Error message says width and height are different between first and this video stream.

You cannot mix different video dimensions yet.  Using the partial video filter later, will not work around this problem.  The workaround is:--

1. "resize" / "add border" / "crop" each stream to the same resolution
2. concatinate them together.

Will now try out with Handbrake

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Doesn't seem to work out as well.  Will have to load all files separately, I guess.

Thank you for your assistance.

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Sorry about the late reply. I tried a bunch of programs to see if I could get one to join properly but wasn't successful, what I ended up doing was resizing the media to match then joining it.

What I would suggest is first finding the lowest resolution file with MediaInfo, then resizing all the files to match the one with the lowest resolution with avidemux and then joining them together with avidemux.

Step 1 - Download and install MediaInfo.

• Download MediaInfo from here and install it.

Step 2 - Find lowest resolution of files.

• Now you need to check all your media files for the lowest resolution, right click one of your media files and click MediaInfo. Look for Width and height and remember the numbers.
  • Now do the same with all of your media files and compare the width and height to find the lowest one.
  • Write down or remember the resolution size for step 3.

Step 3 - Resizing media.

• Open avidemux.
  • Click File located in the top left then click Open, locate the file which you want to change the resolution of and double click it to open it(Don't open the file with the lowest resolution as that one doesn't have to be resized only the others do).
  • Click Video up the top, then Filters.
  • Click Transform, then look for swsResize and click it.
  • Change the width and height to the resolution you figured out in step 2 and click Ok.
  • Click Close.
  • Change Video Output to Mpeg4 AVC (x264)
  • Click File located in the top left then click Save, give your file a name and change the location to where ever you like and click Save.
  • Your file should now be resized to your desired resolution now do this with the rest of the files so they are all the same resolution.

Step 4 - Joining

• Hopefully you get this far. For the instructions on joining you can follow my earlier post.

Since I don't know how many files or the resolution of your files I can't really go into great detail, if you need more help just let me know.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Sorry for the delayed reply.  There was a death in the family and I had to attend.  Will try this out and let you know.

Apologies, again.

Advertisements

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Thank you so much.  Worked out very well.

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I'm sorry to hear that. Glad I could finally help you if you need anything else just let us know.

TonyHutt

TonyHutt

• Pip
  • 2 posts

You can choose both professional video editing software or video converter. here are some editing software I used:

CyberLink PowerDirector 15 Ultimate

Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X10

Wonderfox factory pro

Pinnacle Studio 20 Ultimate

SylviaW

SylviaW

• Pip
  • 4 posts

VLC is not so easy to use. You can use Joyoshare Video Joiner, which can merge MP4 files without quality loss and then export the combined video at 60X faster speed. Joyoshare is compatible with bot Windows and Mac system. Although Joyoshare is not a free editor, it allow all users to free combine videos for 5 times before registering. I guess you don't use it frequently, then that is equal to free.

Hari Prahlad

Hari Prahlad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Many thanks for your replies. I've sorted out the problem with Avidemux. Apologies for not replying earlier.