Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after a fresh Vista install. (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

Come back to the updates in a moment. If you do not like Avast then Microsoft Security Essentials but hold off on this for now please. Regarding PE and the update issue/s, please see... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I've managed to get hold of an AC adapter that's a couple of years old and have taken a screenshot of temps after 30 minutes use.

Does this tell you anything?

The HDD is hotter with the replacement adapter than with the original, is the replacement adapter the exact same voltage and have the same or above amp output, if yes to both you could be looking at a faulty voltage regulator in the charging circuit, not a cost effective repair and the best solution would be to use the notebook on battery only power and only connect the AC adapter to recharge the battery as and when required.

Also, what about the svchost thing?

Run PE, press the space bar to stop it jumping and then hover over the high svchost.exe and it will tell you what services are involved, let us know what the high users are.

You are welcome btw  :)  

Advertisements

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I hope this screenshot tells you what you're after!

Attached Thumbnails

• PE svch users.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
is the replacement adapter the exact same voltage and have the same or above amp output,

Can you answer the above for us please.

Clear the Event Log by following the steps here

Disable the Windows update service;

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.

Disable wuauserv

If the above does not resolve the issue/s I recommend you have the computer checked by one of the security experts over on the malware removal forums.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi

Regarding the chargers, it looks as though everything is as per the Acer charger except for the amp output.

It should be 4.7A but the charger I'm now using is 3.42A.

Having said the above, many being sold as genuine 6930Z replacement chargers show outpot amps at 3.42A and many are quoting 4.7A!

I was unable to clear the Event Log as the link was for XP systems, I'm using Vista and the event viewer looks quite different ........................... too deifferent for me to guess!

I've also disabled Windows Update. Is this a permanent or a temporary thing?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Slime,

The amps must equal or exceed what the original adapter produced when out of the box new and known to be functioning correctly, trying an appropriate adapter for testing is the only way to establish if it is the original adapter or the charging circuit that is causing the high temps, read the voltage and amps information here which supports what I have explained.

The windows update being disabled is temporary, have you checked the CPU usage since you disabled it.

Sorry should have said the Vista information was at the bottom of the page at the link, nvm, you can do it another way, create a new restore point first please;

To clear an event log by using a command line
  1. To open a command prompt, click Start , type cmd in the Start Search box, and then press Enter .

2. Type the following command:

3. wevtutil cl <LogName> [/bu: <backup_file_name>]

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Well, the Process Express screenshot shows a massive difference ............................ thanks for that!

After disabling Windows Updater.jpg

I've also attached a screenshot of the cmd box as I ran into a problem, as you can see.

CMD prompt..jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and no need to clear the event viewer log now as the culprit has been identified.

1: Revert back to the original AC adapter and check the HDD temps.

2: Try manually updating Windows please.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

You are welcome and no need to clear the event viewer log now as the culprit has been identified.

1: Revert back to the original AC adapter and check the HDD temps.

2: Try manually updating Windows please.

1. The original AC adaptor is unobtainable until Tuesday, I'm assuming that's okay.

2. Windows can't check for updates because the service is switched off. I'm assuming I can turn it back on but I'll wait for your confirmation first.

Edited by Slime, 29 May 2016 - 02:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Just keep a regular check on your temps while using the alternative adapter.

Yes you can turn Windows updates back on now, disabling it was to see if it was a genuine MS service or not, once re-enabled check the CPU usage and post back with an update for us please.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

1.Just keep a regular check on your temps while using the alternative adapter.

2.Yes you can turn Windows updates back on now, disabling it was to see if it was a genuine MS service or not, once re-enabled check the CPU usage and post back with an update for us please.

1. Will do, thanks.

2. I'm enclosing two screenshots;

This is the latest Process Express report,

After re-enabling Win Update.jpg

and this is a Windows Update screenshot after it has been searching for updates for about ten minutes. Shouldn't it have found some by now as t's been a long time since any have been downloaded?

Win Update Progress.jpg

Thanks as always.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

PE looks better now at least.

Windows updates are notoriously slow lately and many conspiracy theorists are suggesting that it is a ploy by MS to force people to upgrade to Windows 10, I don`t buy into it myself though,Windows was shown to have installed updates on May 14th 2016, this falls in line with the normal monthly updates that are released so Windows could actually be up to date and that is why it is taking so long checking.

You are welcome  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you Slime, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi Phil, thanks for keeping an eye on my problems.

Since fitting a new battery life has got a lot easier but I'm still having issues!

It's still running very slowly and it still won't turn off properly ................................. I have to force close it every time!

I've included a screenshot of Process Explorer that I've just taken.

Process Explorer 02-06-16.jpg

Any thoughts & thanks as always.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi Slime,

Couple of questions if I may;

Have you managed to fully update Windows.

If you hover over the high svchost.exe reading what is topping the list.

Is Avira free or a paid for product, it may be worthwhile trying a free alternative AV if only for testing purposes.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi Slime,

Couple of questions if I may;

1. Have you managed to fully update Windows.

2. If you hover over the high svchost.exe reading what is topping the list.

3. Is Avira free or a paid for product, it may be worthwhile trying a free alternative AV if only for testing purposes.

1. Nope. It just continually checks for updates without finding any! Last updated 14/05/2016.

2. As per this screenshot;

svchost items Command Line.jpg

3. Yes, it's the free version. Which alternative, other than Avast!, would you suggest? Is AVG any good?

Cheers fella.