Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 programs intermittently not opening after start up.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

winterlady

winterlady

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

I have a brand new HP Pavilion Notebook running Windows 10 OS. The issue I am having is strange to say the least and although I'm not completely computer illiterate I am a bit of a computer novice and can not figure out why this is happening or how to fix it and am in desperate need of expert assistance. After start up my programs, for example my browser(s) will not open, the system seems to freeze with the hourglass just hanging there forever. When I try to click off the browser icon onto to the desktop the system freezes and the display turns completely white for a couple seconds and then returns to the normal desktop again. I can try several more times to open the browser or even a different browser but the same thing continues to occur until I completely shut down the computer and even upon reboot it occasionally continues again at fresh start up and I have to reboot a second time before the programs will open.

It was suggested by a co-worker it was likely a wireless interference issue but I didn't know why that would be the cause of a program not opening and I don't have any wireless connection issues with any of our other devices in the household such as our cell phones or tablets other than occasional lagging nothing really major but based on this advise I relocated my wireless router anyway because I'm at the point where I would try just about anything but unfortunately as I expected it has not resolved this issue.

I have read about the "white screen virus" but I don't feel that is what this is either because the screen doesn't turn white right after start up, it doesn't happen until I try to open a program and then it only occurs occasionally not at every start up and my Windows 10 is brand new, barley 2 weeks old, and been doing it from nearly day one. The strangest things about this to me is that I also have an older HP Pavilion laptop (approx. 4 yrs old) that I upgraded from Windows 8 OS to 8.1 that has been randomly doing the exact same thing for quite a while now. As you can imagine when my brand new Windows 10 started having this same exact problem I was completely blown away! I have searched the internet extensively trying to find anything or anyone having this same issue but the only thing I have found is information about that "white screen virus" but the description of how that acts doesn't seem to be the same to me as what I am dealing with.

Any suggestions or assistance in getting to the bottom of this and resolving the issue would be greatly appreciated! Please help!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello winterlady,

Just concentrating on your new computer for now to avoid any possible confusion.

First thoughts are anti virus software conflicting, can you tell us what AV you are running.

Can you see if you are able to run Speccy and post the url for us, see below;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

winterlady

winterlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello Phillpower 2,

Thanks for your help! In response to your question about my AV software I am running Kaspersky Total Security 2016 version 16.1.1.445©

This is the same AV software that I have used for the past several years now on both my laptops actually as well as on my old desktop pc before that died.

I should probably mention that when I received both this new laptop and my older one they came factory installed with McAfee AV software and I uninstalled McAfee prior to downloading and installing Kaspersky but perhaps I didn't remove all of the components correctly. I have read that installing a new AV software with any existing components of another AV software can cause problems or conflicts and you should make sure to delete any remaining registry keys but I am never comfortable messing around with the system registry as I don't know enough about what I am doing and always afraid of causing more harm than good.

Per your instructions I was able to download and run Speccy and have included the url here:  http://speccy.pirifo...fgpi2cIEuk6Otcc

I am hopeful this helps in determining what is causing my issue(s). I have to leave for work and will not be able to get back online until late this evening or at the latest tomorrow morning to check if you have replied, I will be anxiously waiting to hear back from you. Once again thanks so much for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello winterlady,

Thanks for the Speccy url and additional information  :thumbsup:

To make sure that there are no traces of McAfee please download and run the McAfee removal tool, details here.

I note from your Speccy log the following AVAST Software\SecureLine\vpnsvc.exe, did you knowingly download and install this, it is available as a free seven day trial and then an annual subscription costing between $60 and $70, it is primarily intended to be used alongside Avast AV and could therefore be causing you issues, see review here.

Other than the above I can only see the usual HP bloatware installed on the computer.

winterlady

winterlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello Phillpower2,

Thanks so much for your attention to my problem! In regards to the Avast software no I did not install it so I assume it was factory installed and I greatly appreciate you letting me know it was on my system I had no idea or should I say hadn't realized it was. As per your instructions I downloaded and ran the McAfee removal tool and the process ran smoothly so I am hopeful all of McAfee's components have been removed from my system.

As far as the removal of the Avast software things didn't go as smoothly. When I searched on line for the best option to remove the Avast software, the Avast website recommended using their removal tool also and provided a link to do so. After I downloaded the tool and followed the instructions to run it in Safe Mode it appeared to be removing the components but then a type of "warning" box displayed with a big yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it. I tried to do a screenshot of it to attach for your review but I assume because I was in Safe Mode it didn't allow me to do that.

Here is what was displayed below the exclamation point:

"Incompatible Antivirus detected. Kaspersky Total Security. We strongly recommend uninstalling it so that your computer's performance is not affected. Restart computer or restart later. Restart needed. Restart computer for complete protection." 

I chose the option to restart computer thinking this would work as the McAfee removal tool had but apparently it did not as I found the Avast software still listed under my installed programs in the Control Panel. I ended up having to uninstall the software via the Control Panel which seems to have worked at least the software is no longer listed as an installed program but I don't know if any residual components remain.

I have to say now I am left with some concern about Kaspersky's role in my computer issues as I am also using it on our older laptop having the same problem although it's running Windows 8.1 OS. I am hopeful this isn't the cause as I just paid to renew my Kaspersky for another year only 4 months ago. Kaspersky's download site listed it was compatible with both the Windows 10 and the Windows 8 OS.

Any ideas as to why the Avast removal tool did not work correctly and then display a warning that Kaspersky Total Security is incompatible and strongly recommended to uninstall it to prevent computer performance issues? This did not occur when using the McAfee removal tool, that process worked without any problems. I have to say this has left me a bit confused and concerned. I'm sure you would have told me right away if you were aware of any incompatible issues with the Kaspersky software and Windows 10 (or Windows 8). Do you think it's possibly that this is just a tactic used by Avast to gain customers?

At this point I have to assume the Avast software has been completely removed. I can only hope my computer white screen freeze issues will stop. If the issue occurs again do you have any additional ideas? You didn't find anything else on my system but the normal bloatware but if you have any other ideas in case the removal of these conflicting AV software components doesn't solve my problems I would appreciate any further help you could provide.

Thanks again!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello winterlady,

I have to say now I am left with some concern about Kaspersky's role in my computer issues 

Kaspersky is compatible with Windows 10 and as long as Windows Defender is disabled and there are no other AVs on the computer you should have no problem.

Any ideas as to why the Avast removal tool did not work correctly and then display a warning that Kaspersky Total Security is incompatible and strongly recommended to uninstall it to prevent computer performance issues?

The conflict reported was most likely between Avast and Kaspersky and nothing to do with Windows.

If the issue occurs again do you have any additional ideas?

Will cross that bridge if and when we come to it, hopefully it will not be necessary though.

You are welcome  :)

winterlady

winterlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi Phillpower 2,

I am very disappointed to say removing any AV software or remaining components has not solved the problem. Unfortunately it seems I'm at that bridge to cross already, this is so frustrating! I am about to pull my hair out! Due to this happening on two different laptops I don't feel it's the result of receiving a new "bad" laptop.

First thing this morning when booting up my new laptop the same thing occurred again. I kind of thought it was going to because (and I apologize for not mentioning this before) characteristic of what usually happens after boot up is I can tell by missing task bar icons that it seems everything did not load correctly and when trying to open my browser(s) the system froze and the screen turned white as soon as I tried to click on anything else then returned to the normal desktop again within seconds but when trying again to open my browser it repeated the freeze and white screen all over again. 

I don't know if the missing icons or loading issue is a clue to anything but I also want to mention my wireless internet did not connect either, my networking stated no internet access and then this time a box popped up that I haven't' seen before. I tried but couldn't take a screen shot of it because it was during the white screen freeze that said something like "Windows is not responding, close or wait."

I opted to close and restart my system and upon reboot all my task bar icons appeared to load, my internet access returned and the laptop now seems to be working correctly. This time it only took one reboot to fix the problem but sometimes it takes more.

This issue is so baffling to me as like I mentioned in my initial post it randomly occurs on my older laptop as well although it hasn't occurred recently nor when that was new like this one.

If this is indeed more of a loading issue it seems very odd to be happening on both systems so that just doesn't seem likely the sole cause on two different laptops and has left a novice like me at a loss as to what to do next.

Would you please help me try to resolve this strange but very persistent problem? 

Thank you so much!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

If the above does not resolve the issue, as the computer is new it should be covered by warranty and rather than you struggling with trying to put it right I would suggest that you return it to the place of purchase and rectify the problem, the computer is clearly not fit for purpose.

winterlady

winterlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

HI Phillpower 2,

I will try this when I get home from work but just a quick question, the link you supplied for instructions on a clean boot does not include Windows 10.

Is it alright then to follow these instructions because they haven't changed and remain the same for Windows 10 OS? 

I have to say this whole thing leaves me very bewildered and upset. I don't understand why this happens on two separate devices, it just seems very peculiar.

If this is a Windows issue and may possibly result in reason to return my new laptop why would this be occurring for months on my older laptop as well? 

Please provide me with any additional thoughts and I will be sure to let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello winterlady,

How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts courtesy of Brink here

I have to say this whole thing leaves me very bewildered and upset. I don't understand why this happens on two separate devices, it just seems very peculiar

if you have shared data between the two computers in any way then malware infection is one possible cause, you will need the help of the GTG security experts in such an instance.

If this is a Windows issue and may possibly result in reason to return my new laptop why would this be occurring for months on my older laptop as well? 

As per my above answer, if the Windows AIO repair does not put things right I will provide you with the GTG malware redirection information, and fwiw I would do this in any event before possibly returning the computer as if it is malware related there could be a charge made by the computer store for removing it.

winterlady

winterlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi Phillpower 2,

Due to my work schedule I wasn't able to follow your instructions and run the AIO repair until late Monday night nor really test the effect on my system if any until this morning but as of yet as far as the white screen freeze goes that has not occurred although I haven't been able to spend much time on my computer.

At this point I guess only time will tell if the repair has helped that situation or not as it only occurs intermittently.

A few things did occur though since running the AIO. First thing this morning when I booted up my system I had a notification from the Windows Action Center stating the program Speccy was removed from my computer because it was incompatible with my Windows 10 operating system.

I couldn't believe the program had been totally removed from my system without my doing so and was shocked to learn this was even possible. Now I have doubts whether the information contained in the Speccy URL I supplied you was accurate or even complete, I can only hope the program worked correctly.

Why would the program have installed and ran at all if not compatible?

Then before leaving for work this morning when shutting the system down an error of some sort popped up but unfortunately disappeared so quickly I was unable to catch what it said, I only caught a quick glimpse of it and it appeared to include letters and numbers followed by details.

When returning home this evening upon booting up the system I was totally blown away when a box popped up that said, "The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in. The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported." I was not able to perform any actions on the system and ended up restarting it.

Of course I have no idea if the quick error that popped up this morning has anything to do with the failed sign-in tonight but as strange as it may seem it has also occurred on my older laptop as well so I'm sure you can imagine my surprise that this too was now happening on my new one.

I think you might perhaps be onto the root cause of most if not all of my current and ongoing issues with both laptops. For quite some time I have been suspicious of either Malware or a virus causing the problems on my older laptop. I had downloaded and ran both the Malware Bytes and Spybot programs aside from my Kaspersky Security in search of a missed Malware infection but neither program has ever located anything so I didn't see the point and never installed them on my new laptop to scan that one.

But yes I'm afraid I have shared data between the two systems so it's possible if Malware wasn't detected by any of the programs I've been using it may have been transferred from my older laptop to the new one. I'm thinking it's likely more than just coincidence that in addition to the white screen freeze issue the failed sign-in to the Group Policy Client has also occurred on the older laptop and actually as recently as just two days ago.

Would you please provide me the GTG malware redirection information and instructions on how to proceed?

I greatly appreciate all your patience and assistance with such a novice as myself! Thanks again so much for all your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello winterlady,

Speccy is Windows 10 compatible as you know so not sure what went on there.

"The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in. The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported."

Have seen this after folk have updated or upgraded to Windows 10.

Ordinarily I would have suggested that you see how the computer behaves for a couple of days and then get back to us, but, as you have transferred data between the two computers and they have subsequently both shown the same odd behaviour I feel that it is best that you check the computer/s for malware.

Please include a link to this thread in any OP that you may post on the Malware Removal Forums so that the security experts can see what has been done here, thanks and good luck;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).