Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Java still a security risk?

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Back in 2014 I was advised to remove Java due to it being a security risk - I did so straight away.

Recently my bank changed their online banking system - I haven't been able to use it. My computer locks up and I repeatedly receive 'unresponsive script' notifications. Never had any problems with the previous system.

I have asked my bank for help.

Today I was told this:

"I've left a message today as I've had some details back from our IT
Servicedesk that may help. They've advised that Java Script may not be
enabled on the browser that you're using. To check and enable this, they've
suggested going to the top right hand corner of the Firefox browser page
and clicking the 3 horizontal lines. Once clicked, there is a sub section
called add-ons with a piece of jigsaw next to it. Once clicked, there's a
list on the left called plugins. Click again and there should be a list of
plugins. One relates to Java Platform and if this is disabled then the
online access won't work. Try changing this to always activate if its not
already.

If this doesn't work they've again suggested trying a different browser
such as Google Chrome. I realise this isn't ideal, but it will help us
eliminate some other possible causes."

Does this mean I have to install Java?

When I look at Firefox Add-ons / Plugins I see:

Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.50.255 10.5.1.255 is known to be vulnerable. Use with Caution.

It is disabled.

There is no option to remove it, the only options are 'ask to activate' or 'never activate'. It is currently set at 'never activate'.

I tried to install Google Chrome browser recently - couldn't do it, kept receiving an error message.

What should I do please?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 04 July 2016 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I suppose if you keep Java uptodate it's not too bad.  I think they are up to 8.91 or 92.  Java has always been bad about removing old Firefox add-ons.  In older versions of Firefox they used to slow it down a lot but now I think they can be ignored as long as they are set to never activiate.  

Your bank is a bit confused.  Javascript and Java are two different things.  Javascript will usually be enabled on a  browser unless you have something like the No Script extenstion.  Java is not there by default and you have to download it from java.com (being careful to opt out of whatever garbage they are trying to foist on you).  If you use Firefox you can set it to always ask then only let it run for your bank.

The normal Chrome load is just a stub that then downloads the full program.  Sometimes it is easier to get the full download to work:

https://support.goog...er/126299?hl=en

Pick one of the two links.  You will go to what looks like the usual download page but this time you will get a 50 meg download and not a 1.5 meg.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for your very helpful response RKinner.

Well, I was just about to download the latest Java >>

"Note: As of April 8, 2014 Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP and therefore it is no longer an officially supported platform. Users may still continue to use Java 7 updates on Windows XP at their own risk, but support will only be provided against Microsoft Windows releases Windows Vista or later."

So seems I have to download Java 7... which isn't good, but I can't be without online banking.

I do have a Firefox extension that allows quick enable and disable of Javascript via a toolbar-button. On my computer some sites run better when it is disabled although certain features are lost.

I will try to download Google Chrome browser from the link you kindly sent me.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Perhaps it is time to get a newer PC or a different bank?

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Since this problem arose I have thought that I might have to change my bank, which is a shame because aside from this I am very happy with them.

I am not the only customer who is not able to log in.

New pc most definitely needed but not possible at present. :)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"C:\Documents and Settings\dell owner\My Documents\Downloads\ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

XP may be the problem.  http://www.cnet.com/...for-windows-xp/

How about Opera?  http://www.opera.com...ndows-xp-vista/

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Oh those XP abandoners..... :(

You're a great help......I will try to install Opera tomorrow.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I just tried to install Opera.....

A notice appears: "Downloading Windows XP compatible installer"......

Then nothing happens...

I've tried several times.

Someone has posted this:

Cameron Rogers a month ago

So now Opera isn't even supported. What a drastic change from two months ago! Opera no longer works on ANY version of XP.

?

*Additional information

For some reason of late I cannot install anything automatically (Flash Player included), this has not happened before. After a program download when I open the containing folder and click on 'properties' I find this:

"This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"

Have to click on 'unblock' and 'apply' after each download now.

Wondering if the Windows XP compatible installer was blocked, but I can't find it anywhere to unblock it and don't know how to adjust this setting.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 05 July 2016 - 06:04 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

You might try one of the browsers listed here:

http://www.techradar...be-using-932466

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for the link....

Managed to install K-Meleon. At last I have a second browser and I like it.

The online banking issue is exactly the same with it, so seems it is not the browser causing the problem.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 05 July 2016 - 01:04 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Filehippos has older versions of Java.  Perhaps one of them will install:

http://filehippo.com...ad_jre/history/

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for the useful link. Your help is much appreciated.

The technical team at my bank are still investigating the problem I have.

I have put forward this question:

I have JavaScript enabled.

Do I need to have Java (from java.com) installed to use the new online banking system?

Once I have an update I will come back to you. :)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Today I was informed that I do need Java installed to use the new online banking system.

I found further information about Java and XP.......

https://www.java.com...d/faq/winxp.xml

I managed to install the latest version......but unfortunately there was no difference when I tried to access my banking site.

Yesterday I tried logging into my banking site using a computer at my local library with XP OS and Google Chrome browser.

I was able to log in and use the site without problems.

My bank advisor told me that K-Meleon is not one of their supported browsers, so I installed Safari browser 5.1.7, which is......but I kept receiving the attached notice when I tried to access my banking site and several other sites too.

I located the Google Chrome Set Up that I downloaded a short while ago and tried again to install it. After several failed downloads / error messages I succeeded......but I received a similar error message with this browser too (attached).

Cannot find a secure / private connection......what should I do please? I have not received this type of notice before.

Yesterday I reset my Windows Firewall to default and flushed the DNS cache with a Command Prompt......

I've just tried with Avast antivirus disabled......made no difference.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 08 July 2016 - 10:50 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi scarlet.rose,

May I ask...

Maybe I overlooked something but I don't see where you mentioned which AV you have installed, just that you have ZoneAlarm firewall.

Ooops! Ignore the above comment. I see you edited your post above to mention that you disabled Avast..

Is your banking site the only secure site that you can not access? Try the following which is also an https site:

Yahoo! Mail - Wikipedia

Which email client do you use? Windows Live Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail or Google Gmail are all secured sites. If you are able to visit any of these web-based email providers which are using a secure connection, the secure website that you couldnt visit is possibly experiencing a server problem.

See if anything in the following link might help in any way..

What Should You Do If You Can't Access Secure Sites?

The article was last updated in 2011, but then again we are working with XP so it may have something you have not tried yet.

Donna :)