Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you add password to windows startup logo screen?

• Please log in to reply

Grinzgritz

Grinzgritz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey guys so in my house i have several computer savvy people who know their way around computers, including hacking my account password to get into my profile. I was wondering if there is anyway you can add a password feature that requires you to put in a password when the windows is loading before it gets to the profiles, is there a way or even a better way to get it done? ty!

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Grinzgritz,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

I am assuming that your computer is either Windows Vista or Windows 7 since you posted in this forum. If not, please let me know.

There is a way to password protect your user account. See below:
  • Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button.
  • Click Control Panel.
  • Click User Accounts and Family Safety.
  • Click User Accounts.
  • Click Create a password.
Type the password in the New password box, and then type the password again in the Confirm new password box.

You can find those instructions here as well.

You can find a good tutorial here on how to create a secure password.

Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

TsVk!

TsVk!

• Pip
  • 1 posts

If you mean by adding a system password to prevent any account access you can use Syskey. Be aware that if you lose the password your system will be irrecoverable.

Gorillamp

Gorillamp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Type the password in the New password box, and then type the password again in the Confirm new password box.

You can find those instructions here as well.

How to add  a password if I forgot the login password?

Edited by Gorillamp, 02 August 2016 - 03:25 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Gorillamp,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

If the forgotten login password belongs to your user profile that appears after Windows has loaded, I am afraid we can't help you that since it is against forum policy since we can not confirm that you are the owner of the computer. The only way to create/add a new password is to figure out the old one.

If I misunderstood your request, please explain yourself further.

Donna :)