Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista 32 bit will not update (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

Hello Becky616, Lets start with the basics and hope for an easy fix; Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Becky616

Becky616

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Hi

I'm having real problems here and I hope I didn't do something to mess up computer cause I can not find my Vista operating system disc to reinstall. I had icon in taskbar that said windows can't update so I clicked on it. I had to manually start windows update but just kept filling up and wouldn't do anything. I checked and seen that updates had been installed but nothing recent or in a while. So I went here and downloaded SURT ran it and have cbs files sitting on desktop. Now when I open update it has big red x and says most recent updates never. Updates installed never. It won't start on it's own and when start manually it just fills green bar but runs and runs but nothing happens. I let it run for days and nothing. Everytime I shutdown and restart go to update and it's back with red x. and I have to start it again. I have been working on this for weeks and so frustrated. I'm at a lost what to do can you please help me. Thanks Becky

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Becky616,

Lets start with the basics and hope for an easy fix;

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Becky616

Becky616

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Hi Phil

Thank you for the response. I downloaded the windows all in one. Did a clean boot per the instructions. Then ran the windows all in one. I followed the scan all the way through. Steps 1,2,3,and 4 said no problems. Did the repair step. It said to do it twice so I did. The only thing that came up was while it was running at the bottom it said manage acl_32.exe corrupt file. The file or directory C:\my backup--24-02-11 1833\windows\system32 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility. I continued to let repairs run and finish and upon reboot it did a chkdsk. I let it run and computer restarted. I did this twice with the same results each time. After computer restarted the second time I opened windows update and its still the same no change. Still has red x and says most recent check for updates never, updates were installed never. Now computer is starting to hang when opening up programs stands there and circle just spins then will finally open. I wish I still had the vista operating disc cause I would just do a clean install but I don't and it sounds like my back up might be corrupt. Waiting your instructions. Thank you so much for helping me here I'm at wits end. :smashcomp:

Edited by Becky616, 12 September 2016 - 01:00 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Becky616,

You may be able to correct this by running SFC without media a few times but if not you will need Vista on disk or a USB thumb drive, SFC details below; 

Post here and ask Ex_Brit if he can send you a Vista ISO download link by email, you may not get an instant reply so please be patient, make sure that you have your Vista product key before using the ISO, let us know if you do not have the product key and we will provide the info required for you to be able to obtain it.

Go to Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista - 7)
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista- 7)
Have the correct Windows CD/DVD handy (not always required).
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista & W7 users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.

Any file will be quite large so please upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ and then post the download link here for us.

How to use mediafire  http://en.kioskea.ne...es-to-mediafire

Becky616

Becky616

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Hi Phil

Great news have no idea what happened but left the computer on since your last response to me and me doing the windows all in one. I awoke this morning and wa la updates icon in taskbar shows updates ready to install. Clicked on it and all downloaded. There was one that was optional which was windows live essentials 2011 but I don't have windows live essential installed on computer so just hide update. Rebooted computer opened windows update got a green check mark and says windows is up to date. So I'm thinking it was me using the windows all in one that did the trick. I want to thank you so very much for all your time and I think we can consider this problem resolved. Thanks Becky. You guys are awesome. :spoton:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hi Becky,

That is great news, pleased to hear that all is now well and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

What I would suggest that you do asap to counter any possible future problems is create a back up image of your HDD using Macrium Reflect (free) Essexboy has kindly put together a tutorial that will help, see here

You are welcome btw, glad we were able to help  :)

NB: Please let us know if you need help with obtaining your Vista product key.