Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving Windows 10 to a new SSD

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

vandexa1

vandexa1

• Pip
  • 2 posts

So I am looking to upgrade a vast majority of the parts in my computer, GPU, CPU, motherboard etc. It will basically be a new system with the exception to the HDD I will still be using alongside a new SSD. When reading up on how to transfer my copy of Windows 10 to my new SDD I read that the free upgrade version or Windows 10, ringtones which is how I acquired it, is tied to the hardware of the system in question. Further reading showed that you can use your Microsoft account tied to your version of Windows 10 to help recover it. I was curious if anyone knew which hardware in particular the OS is tied to and if I will need to buy Windows 10 again for this new system to run it. Basically can I put my old HDD in this new system while retaining Windows 10, then transfer the OS to the SSD after the fact. Microsoft's official word on the subject is rather vague.

Edited by vandexa1, 04 October 2016 - 06:53 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: vandexa1

If the original OS you upgraded from was an OEM licence version, it is tied to the hardware, specifically the MB.   You can change the rest of the hardware, download an ISO, create bootable DVD/USB media and install to a new drive.

If the original OS was a Retail licence version, you can use it on a completely different computer providing it is used on one PC at a time.  Again you can use a downloaded ISO and install to your new SSD.

You cannot use your existing HDD to boot a computer with different hardware as the Chipset and Device Drivers will be different.   You can install it and copy any Data you require to the new SSD, but not the OS.