Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing New USB 3.0 4-Port PCIe Expansion Card

USB

• Please log in to reply

coolguyace

coolguyace

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

At a MicroCenter, I bought a new USB 3.0 4-Port PCIe Expansion Card from VisionTek, which I know now was probably a horrible buy because it looks really cheap quality. I wanted one that day, and they didn't have better ones for some reason. I wanted to make this work since I dropped like $40 on it and all 4 USB ports were working. 

When I had Windows 7 installed, the card stopped working after a couple days and I got an error basically stating it didn't have enough power or whatever. I have a 750w power supply, so I didn't think that should be a problem unless my 1080 MSI video card was consuming too much power. I ran some updates and I decided before I fixed this problem that I upgraded to Windows 10. Then I had a compatibility issue error pop up with Windows 10. At least it detected it, now it's not at all. I can't run the driver in compatibility mode.

Is there a tool out there that can troubleshoot this? Is this product just cheap garbage and I should buy another one?

Would be nice if there was software out there that can diagnose this kind of thing.

There's no additional troubleshooting I can do right now since it doesn't seem to be getting detected. I changed to PCI slot 1 from the 3rd one. That's about it. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello coolguyace,

Windows 10 should recognise the USB 3.0 card by default so no other drivers would normally be required.

USB troubleshooting tools are few and far between and the best free info that I have seen can be found here

When I had Windows 7 installed, the card stopped working after a couple days and I got an error basically stating it didn't have enough power or whatever. I have a 750w power supply, so I didn't think that should be a problem 

The 750W PSU is not what should always be considered, if the card does not have a separate SATA or molex power supply from the PSU it is the power going to the PCI-E slot on the MB that matters, does your card have a separate power supply cable.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you coolguyace, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

coolguyace

coolguyace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Sorry I have been gone for a while. It has a separate power supply cable going to it, I didn't rig anything to make it work. I saw some USB tools, but none of them are able to find it because my guess is that it is not operating at all. It shouldn't be fried or anything like that, but maybe it just broke on me. I was able to at least able to detect at one point in time, but I can't get any more readings from it. Sometime in the next month, I'm going to purchase a new one.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Can you post your MB details for us so that we can check the specs.

Is the add on USB card you have the same as the one here

coolguyace

coolguyace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Sorry been a busy man. It does not mention it supports Windows 10, could be possible. haven't looked at it in a while. The link you posted has expired so here's the specs with screenshot and link:

http://www.microcent...e_Internal_Card

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture2.PNG