Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive Letters, will they be overwritten or reassigned?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hey Everyone,

Good day to all of you!

I bought 2 new 3tb WD My Books that I will getting next week. First, the two that I have currently have a Drive letter of E and F. I am doing a wipe and a clean install of Windows 10 pro x64 once I get the new drives. After the wipe and clean install, I will be plugging one at a time the new HDD's. Once I start plugging in the hard drives I had previously what will happen? Does windows reassign them automatically the drive letters or will they override the new drives? Because I don't want them to override the new hard drives.

Thank you for your help and assistance!

Advertisements

JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

You don't have to worry about Windows assigning new drive letters this will not affect any data store on drives you will be accessing the drives as normal. Even you can assign drive letter to any drive from Disk Management console.

Thank you FreeBooter for help. This information was helpful. I understand now. Thank you!