Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New SSD. Can't do fresh install on it. (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 01 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

So your initial problem is now resolved? The HDD we will come back to as you may need to start a new thread, dealing with more than one issue in a single thread is not good practice as when th... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Motherboard: MSI Gaming 5
CPU: Intel i7 4790k
RAM: 2x 4GB 
Hard Drives: 1x1TB and 1x2TB
SSD: 1x480GB
Graphics Card: GTX 1070

I recently bought the above SSD and wanted to transfer my Windows 10 operating system (previously upgraded from Windows 7) onto it. At the moment, I run Windows 120 on the 1TB hard drive.
The way I've been trying to install Windows 10 onto it so far has been through the Windows Media Creation Tool here.

I started with an ISO which I then burnt onto a DVD as an Image Disc and tried installing that way. I then used the same software to create a bootable USB flash drive. Both versions enter the installation process, copies the windows files, installation files, features and upgrades.

The problem starts when the PC needs to reboot and leaves my PC hanging with the "loading" animation that Windows 10 has with the 6 dots going round in a loop and nothing happening afterwards. I've left it for near on 4 hours each time just to see if anything will happen but the animation seems to go on forever and no activity sounding from the PC tower itself.

After re-downloading the ISO and creating the flash drive, I've also tried the install with no other hard drives plugged in so it's just the SSD and the flash drive plugged in.

Please help.

Edited by agent_numpty, 31 December 2016 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello agent_numpty,

After re-downloading the ISO and creating the flash drive, I've also tried the install with no other hard drives plugged in so it's just the SSD and the flash drive plugged in.

If you are still at the point of having no other HDDs plugged in, change the boot sequence to DVD drive first and the SSD second then try the install.

If you are back to having the HDD also connected, to boot from a USB device and install Windows from the thumb drive you should disable secure boot, see canned info below;

If your computer will not boot into Windows at all, power up or restart the computer continually tap or hold down the key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer and then do the following;

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.
Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.
Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.
Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok, so I went with the second option with the HDDs still plugged coz last night I gave up and plugged everything back in so I could still use my PC as normal.

I restarted into the BIOS and realised its a Gaming 5 motherboard (my bad, sorry) but I looked around for those settings and found nothing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

In case you are not aware, having a bootable OS on a storage device that is set as the first bootable device in the BIOS means that you will not be able to install a new OS to another storage device as the computer will boot straight into Windows on the first boot device, this is why the original HDD/with OS should be disconnected while the fresh install is carried out, the MBs chipset drivers installed to the new storage device, an AV set up and Windows fully updated before connecting the previous boot device.

Secure boot may be disabled by default in your BIOS, If you see a Fast boot option disable that then double check that you are set as USB device first and the SSD the second boot device and try again.

You should also familiarise yourself with your MBs BIOS settings by reading the user manual which you can download here

Some further info here

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ok. New update. Rearranging the boot priority did get the windows boot drive to successfully install. However, i am now having trouble loading into the ssd's version of windows 10. Sometimes it'll load in no problem. Sometimes it'll get to the screen with the password, i'll type in password but get no further. Other times it wont have load at all but i'll get the loading dot animation, sometimes with the blue window, other times without. It seems very hit or miss atm.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If the original HDD is still connected, disconnect it please.

Get Windows on the SSD to boot, install the chipset drivers for your MB, fully update Windows, allow Defender to run a full scan and then leave the computer running for a few hrs without shutting it down, once done, restart as opposed to shut down the computer a few times to see if it at least boots back into Windows from a restart.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hard drives have been disconnected.
Chipset drivers have been installed.
When it came to running Defender, i left for a while but when i tried to get the monitor to turn back on from sleep mode, i just got a black screen and nothing else.
So i disabled sleep mode for now, forced reset and tried again. Defender has got to 4 mins 59 seconds and stopped at 321136 files scanned. Its been 15 mins since the scan has started, is that normal? I updated the Defender before i started first time round.

Update: just got back to the pc and the mouse moves but i cant do anything, no start menu, everyrhing has frozen.

Update: decided to install motherboard drivers, vga, sata/raid intel quick storage tech (something like that) and some others. So im running the full scan again. Quick scan completed ok with no threats. Will see if the full scan completes.

Update: full system scan completed with no threats found.

Update: I've reconnected my 2 HDDs, the 1TB that had the original Windows 10 OS installed was detected fine and I've been able to wipe that one. The 2TB one shows up on the Device Manager and BIOS (I think its that 1 unless its the "System Reserved" partition of the SSD) but not under "This PC". I've opened up the Tower to check connections and they're all fine. What can I do?

Edited by agent_numpty, 01 January 2017 - 04:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Good work agent_numpty  :thumbsup:

You may have cracked this already but I would still recommend you do the latter part of what I suggested regarding the restarts, this to try and make sure that all drivers etc are present and being found ok by Windows, you mention disabling sleep, I would also disable hibernation as well, I find it problematic and have never used it to be honest, canned steps to disable hibernation below;

Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin)
In the elevated command prompt type powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

then leave the computer running for a few hrs without shutting it down, once done, restart as opposed to shut down the computer a few times to see if it at least boots back into Windows from a restart.

Will be offline for a few hrs shortly but will check back later UK time.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Yep, I've already done all that. It shus down, launches up, restarts and comes out of sleep/hibernation with no problems at all now.

My concern now is the hard drive thats missing of "This PC" where I have loads of files stored.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

So your initial problem is now resolved?

The HDD we will come back to as you may need to start a new thread, dealing with more than one issue in a single thread is not good practice as when the thread is marked as having been solved people reading the thread in the future will be confused as to what was actually solved.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Yes, the initial problem is solved. Thanks for your help. I'll start up a new thread.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome, glad we could help and thank you for letting us know that all is now well with the SSD and Windows  :thumbsup: