Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no fixed disks to show

• Please log in to reply

Dr.Quest

Dr.Quest

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

hello everyone.

Trying to install windows 7 and get to the page "where do you want to install windows" and it's blank but at the bottom it says "No drives were found". So i tried diskpart and got "no drives to show". I can get zorin (linux) to Boot from the hard drive but no password. machine specs. Dell inspiron 1721 AMD turion 64 X2 service tag GRFRBD1 vista 32B

thank you for the help.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Does the hard drive show up in the BIOS/CMOS Setup?

If so, next question would be do you have an empty partition to install Windows 7 onto on the drive? If not, the Windows 7 installation allows you to erase, re-create and format a partition for Windows 7. Note that doing so though erases whatever was previously on the partition.

Dr.Quest

Dr.Quest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

yes it does.

For the next question. I don't know because zorin was already installed when i received it.

When will it give me that option to erase. Because i haven't come across it yet. 

Thank you for replying

Dr.Quest

Dr.Quest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

It's  a OEM system Builder pack. Win Home Prem 7 sp1 64Bit. About a year ago i used this on my laptop with no problems. 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

It may be that Windows doesn't recognize the Zorin partition? If that's the case, you may need to use Zorin (or Zorin compatible program) to shrink, (or delete), its partition to free it up for Windows 7.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You would think, yes. If the BIOS can see the hard drive, so should Windows.

Dr.Quest

Dr.Quest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

i used a ubuntu live usb and then installed it.So at least it's a usable machine again. Thanks for your input.