Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD (stop error) restart loop - system thread exception not handled

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I installed the most recent and large Windows 10 update. It ran through it's course with no issues until the very end when it had installed completely and restarted the computer. It was at this point that the computer failed to reach the desktop and the stop error or blue screen of death appeared. It stated that there was a 'system thread exception not handled' and that I should seek out the fix on windows.com/stopcode. The computer continued to reboot two or three times before it tried diagnosing and repairing. At this point it brings you to a 'choose an option screen.'

The windows website suggests a couple of fixes, both of which I have tried and both of which have not worked. Upon starting my computer the automatic repair happens immediately. It then takes you to the same 'choose an option screen.'

Option #1: restore point

select troubleshoot > advanced options > system restore > and choose a restore point before the error occurred.

For me it stated that 'no restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. Open system protection....' So I opened system protection and was told that this was only available in online operating systems.

Option #2: start windows in safe mode

troubleshoot > advanced options > startup settings > restart

At this point you can choose 4/F4 or 5/F5. I chose F5 to try and have access to networking. Instead of continuing with the process further, the same stop error/blue screen pops up. I then tried F4 and this also did not work. So it would seem that I cannot access safe mode.

Next I tried a third option called startup repair. This too does not work.

There is another option about using a USB device, network connection or windows recovery DVD. I'm not familiar with this.

-------------

So I am a bit at a loss here as to how I should proceed. Prior to installing the Windows 10 update I had installed X-Plane 11 with no issues, and starting using a UPS battery. A few days before that I installed the new nvidia graphics drivers. In all cases there were no issues. I have even tried rebooting the computer and removing all externals. This too had no effect. I am pretty certain it was the Windows 10 update.

Any ideas on how I should proceed next? If possible I want to avoid resetting the PC.

Thanks for you time,

Matt

Edited by sierrahotel, 19 April 2017 - 06:08 PM.

Advertisements

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hi FB,

I gather in order to provide you with the memory dump, I need first to access the Windows OS. I came across this video which I think I will try. If it will allow me to get to the desktop, I could then provide you with the memory dump and possibly be able to remove the last Windows 10 update. Worth a shot?

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Okay well I gave it a try. Here is the list:

Volume 0       F     DVD-ROM  

Volume 1       C     X-Plane             NTFS      223GB          Healthy

Volume 2       D                               NTFS      232GB          Healthy

Volume 3       G    Recovery            NTFS      450mb          Healthy     Hidden

Volume 4                                         FAT32        99mb          Healthy     Hidden

Volume 5        E                               NTFS       15GB           Healthy

So it would appear that E: is the USB. This whole letter setup is odd though because it is not depicted how it truly is. The OS (local) was on C: (250GB ssd) not D:. E: was my second smaller (240GB) SSD which I named X-Plane because that was what it is used for. D: was the DVD-ROM.

I tried copying the minidump to the usb but I probably was typing it in wrong because it could not recognize it.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Certainly.

Copy D:\Windows\MiniDump    E:

I have tried with C: as well since I know it is my local drive. When I am at the display of list commands, copy is not shown as an option.

Edited by sierrahotel, 22 April 2017 - 07:08 AM.

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I think the update that caused this was called the Windows 10 Creators Update.

Anyways...

Like I said before, C:\ is my local drive but the pc seems to think it is D:\. The results of Dir C:\Windows\MiniDump was a reply of 'This system cannot find the file specified.'

So I tried D:\. Here is what I got.

Volume in drive D has no label.

Volume serial number is 107F-60C8

Directory of D:\Windows

File Not Found

-------

So what does that mean?

I recall seeing the USB/DVD bot option. If I place my Win 10 DVD in the drive, will my pc proceed to the desktop and will my pc be reset?

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Well that sucks. Can I not try this and see if I can uninstall/rollback the update?

Would it be best to disconnect the sata cable from my second ssd just in case it decides to reset it as well?

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Ok so I tried the steps from the video and it did not work.

I next tried to reset while keeping my files. This did not work and I received this message: "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made". I then decided to not keep my files and the response I got was "There was a problem resetting your PC".

Next I tried repairing from the Win 10 cd but that did not work. After that I tried installing completely new. "Windows setup could not reinitialize the deployment engine. To install windows, restart the installation". So I restarted the pc and the process. This time it worked and I have a new installation. It was my only option. I have now a windows.old file and I am not familiar with this. I can access it but I probably need to install all previous programs, drivers etc... correct? I would like to be able to copy over programs like DCS if it is possible. Otherwise I want to delete/remove the windows.old folder as it is taking up a lot of space.

One thing I have discovered that would have been beneficial in this situation was a restore point or system image. I should probably try to create one of these at this point in time. Any advice on which one is preferred and how I should go about doing it? 

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Okay all complete. I have reinstalled most programs. Interesting thing that happened when I tried to install drivers and utilities from the ASUS dvd that came with the mobo. During the first restart, I received a blue screen due to an error in installation. The same threshold reason was given. My pc restarted and made it to the desktop. I stopped any further downloads from the dvd. So far things are okay. I have also created an image using Macrium. 

sierrahotel

sierrahotel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

That would be ASUS I believe. Hopefully the most 'up to date' drivers will not cause an issue during the install.