Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor not showing any signal/display

motherboard hdmi hdmi cable monitor display signal

• Please log in to reply

liam1111

liam1111

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have recently built my new gaming pc. When turning it on no display (no signal) is shown on my monitor. ( I have had it show some display a couple of times, but not every time so I am thinking I have a faulty part but unsure what part, I think it's the motherboard)> I have done some troubleshooting but had no luck.

Things I've tested:
Power going to the motherboard. My motherboard LED's lightup and my fans connected to the motherboard work.
I have used two different monitors, so the monitor is not the issue.
I have used three seperate video cables including two different HDMI and one D-sub cable so it's not the cable.
I have taken everything out and re-plugged it back in and it turned on a couple of times but i left it for a bit and now it doesn't turn on again. I defiantly think I have a faulty part.
I Also have tried plugging in my HDMI cable into the motherboard and GPU.

Anyone know whats wrong with it??
Cheers.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   liam1111,

Something could be loose or there may be a system short, the latter being less likely as the fans stay running.

Please provide information about your components, post the brand and model name or number for the MB, CPU, the Ram (including the amount) add on video card and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

liam1111

liam1111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, These are my parts. I have been able to get signal a couple of times but most of the time it ends up freezing. Intel I5 7500, Prime B250M-A, Antec VP 600w, GTX 1060 6gb Strix, 16gb DDR4 Balistix.

Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello liam1111,

For convenience I have included links to your CPU and MB below;

Intel I5 7500

Prime B250M-A,

Please read the following safety steps before working inside of the computer;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect any attached hardware such as the keyboard and printer etc, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the case power button for 10 seconds or so to get rid of any residual charge in the system, remove the side of the case, be sure to take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or the PSU.

Your CPU and MB are both able to produce video so what I suggest you do to begin with is remove the add on video card altogether for now, see steps below;

Remove the MBs CMOS battery.

Remove each stick of RAM.

Disconnect any HDD and DVD drive that may be connected.

Disconnect and then reconnect both the 24-pin EATX Power and 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s) to make sure that they are secure.

Disconnect and then reconnect the 4 pin CPU fan connector.

Check that the case switch connections are on the correct headers on the MB.

Make sure that all unconnected cables are tucked safely away from the MB, CPU cooling fan etc.

Insert a single stick of RAM into the slot nearest to the CPU (slot A1)

Replace the CMOS battery

Connect a screen to the appropriate video port on the MB

Connect the PSU to the wall socket, press the chassis power on button to see if you get a BIOS screen, if you do get a display, post back before doing anything else.

If still no display, power down, disconnect the power cord, ground yourself etc, swap out the RAM in slot A1 for another stick**, repeat the start up test then post back with an update for us.

** You have 16GB of RAM so I may be incorrectly assuming that you have 2X8GB sticks, is 2X8GB sticks correct correct.

To keep in mind for the future, when doing a new build it is best practice to do a barebones set-up outside of the case, this helps to identify any components that may have issues before they are assembled inside of the case where it is possible to short out the MB by misplacing a stand off, incorrectly fitting the I/O (backplate) or trapping and baring a wire thus damaging hardware that was perfectly good when it arrived.

Investing in a BIOS error speaker is also worthwhile as it can help with any troubleshooting that may need to be done.