Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Card Reader Problem on Sony Vaio Notebook

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello there,

Back in November, I purchased an SD card (1 X SanDisk Ultra Android 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card and SD Adapter up to 80 Mbps) for my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Android phone. For various reasons, it has just stayed in the packaging since then and only very recently did I try to insert it into my phone - without success! :(

To test the card, I then tried inserting it into the card reader in my Sony Vaio VGN-NS20E notebook (running Windows 10), which also failed to pick it up. With the help of GTG, I updated the card reader driver and all should now be well with it. However, when I insert the card (using the adapter provided) it still does not pick it up.

I am thinking that I might try buying another SD card in case this one is faulty - but before doing so, I wanted to double check here that I am not just doing something wrong!

Before I updated the driver for the card reader on the notebook, there was an exclamation mark showing by it in Device Manager, but now it has gone. 'SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller' now appears there under 'SD host adapters'.

Nothing however shows up for the card reader (with or without the card inserted) when I look in 'Drives' under 'This PC', or under 'Disk Management' 

Is there anything else that I am missing and which I should be doing to get the drive recognised, please?

Chris.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sounds like the card is bad seeing how it isn't seen by 2 separate devices but then again it may just be that both readers in both devices are not capable of reading a sd card over 2GB in size,

i think sd is up to 2GB, sdhc is up to 32GB and over 32GB is sdxc but not 100% sure now and would have to look it up, newer card readers can read all 3 formats but some older readers may only be able to read/use the sd format.

as to the laptop nothing will show up anywhere until a working or compatible card is used, bit like plugging and unplugging a usb stick.

:popcorn:

found this sandisk link :- https://kb.sandisk.c.../54/r_id/101834

Edited by terry1966, 16 May 2017 - 08:47 PM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks for replying Terry.

sounds like the card is bad seeing how it isn't seen by 2 separate devices but then again it may just be that both readers in both devices are not capable of reading a sd card over 2GB in size,

Have done some research on this since posting my original question in the Smart Phones forum - and both devices should be capable of reading the SD card.

This from the phone specs: -

PhoneSpecsReSDCard.jpg

And this from my notebook's manual: -

VaioManualReSDCards.jpg

Interestingly though, your Sandisk link says: -

id54_sdhc_logo.gifVerifying the card reader slot
If the card reader slot on your computer does not have the SDHC logo, it is most likely not SDHC compatible and will only read cards up to 2GB capacity.

The slot on the notebook only says SD and has no logo, even though the manual says it will take SDHC cards. How confusing is all this stuff?!!!!!! :(

I think I will just go ahead and purchase the card reader which you gave me the link to in the other thread at http://www.geekstogo...d-not-detected/ That should clear up once-and-for-all whether this flippin' SD card is okay or not - and will hopefully give me the added bonus of being able to use it on my trusty ancient desktop computer as well! :)

Thanks again,

Chris.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Terry,

The card reader arrived and works okay (although unfortunately its shape means that I cannot at the moment use it with my desktop computer, so will have to buy a USB extension lead). Unfortunately though, the card was still not recognised - so I bought another card. The card I purchased is exactly the same as the first one - except for the fact that this one actually does work! :)

Having a working SD card means that I can actually transfer a few music tracks onto my phone and store them on there, as have not had any room for any music or photos. I still need to try to get rid of some apps though! :(

Don't know what happened with the original SD card - but wonder if I somehow damaged it trying to find out how to insert it into the phone.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry channeal, didn't see your reply till now. :blush:

glad the new card works and doubt you did anything to make the first card not work. i'd just return it and either get your money back or get a replacement.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

No problem, Terry.

Unfortunately, I bought the card back in November (although I didn't take it out of its packaging until recently so I think it is too late to return it for a refund!

I have been loading some music onto the card today - so it is good to be able to do that. Unfortunately I am still short of room on the phone though - too many apps on there! :(

Thanks again for your help.

Chris.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

bit cheeky i know but i'd just pretend the old card is the new card and send it back as not working, they won't know the difference seeing how they are both the same.

as to the phone apps, even though i have 2 smart phones i only ever use them as phones for calling in emergencies so don't really know a lot about the ins and outs of them, but i believe some apps can be reinstalled again to the card while others can't so you may be able to free up some phone space that way.

http://support.sonym...23d18e780059e3/

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Terry,

Thanks for your reply and for the link.

I found another link at http://support.sonym...age-and-memory/ which actually says I only need to reserve at least 100 MB of internal storage free. I thought I needed much more than that, so the storage situation is much better than I thought! I got a warning about space recently, but that was only after my husband had borrowed my phone to take photos when we were out at some NT gardens (he has my old Xperia now but did not have it with him).

Before finding this out, I did transfer a couple of apps to the SD card (though was a bit confused as it still showed quite a lot of data for the app on the internal storage too) It does not look as if it is possible to move many apps without 'adopting' the card as internal storage (see https://www.howtogee...to-the-sd-card/). I am happy with things as they are for now anyway - and am just very much enjoying being able to store some music on the card. :thumbsup:

My husband's smart phone is another matter though. He took a lot of photos when we were out recently and was told he couldn't take any more as the phone was full! He has my old Xperia model C5303 which is only Android 4.3 so I think the options as far as SD cards are limited. Not sure, but I think that you can't add any apps to an SD card on it. You can have a small SD card for photos and music, though I have no idea how to install one (there is no obvious slot for it) - but it might be worth it, as he really is very short of space! I need to look into the options more. He only uses the phone for internet and sometimes for photos (when he can remember to take it out with him, that is :)) as he prefers to use his very simple old phone for calls - probably wisely, as he has lost several phones in the past! :lol:

Am not going to sent the my faulty SD card back - am just happy that the new one is working okay! :)

Thanks again for your help,

Chris.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:thumbsup:

jswami166

jswami166

• Pip
  • 1 posts

If you got the solution then I would be thankful to you if you suggest me the best way to solve it.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
What exactly is it you wanted to know, jswami166?

Terrance_M

Terrance_M

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Having faulty is not a big issue as they with long time warranty but when you face issue with card reader of the laptops than things can get worse

wyattparx

wyattparx

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello there,

Back in November, I purchased an SD card (1 X SanDisk Ultra Android 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card and SD Adapter up to 80 Mbps) for my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Android phone. For various reasons, it has just stayed in the packaging since then and only very recently did I try to insert it into my phone - without success! :(

To test the card, I then tried inserting it into the card reader in my Sony Vaio VGN-NS20E notebook (running Windows 10), which also failed to pick it up. With the help of GTG, I updated the card reader driver and all should now be well with it. However, when I insert the card (using the adapter provided) it still does not pick it up.

I am thinking that I might try Onlinesbi sudoku aadhar card buying another SD card in case this one is faulty - but before doing so, I wanted to double check here that I am not just doing something wrong!

Before I updated the driver for the card reader on the notebook, there was an exclamation mark showing by it in Device Manager, but now it has gone. 'SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller' now appears there under 'SD host adapters'.

Nothing however shows up for the card reader (with or without the card inserted) when I look in 'Drives' under 'This PC', or under 'Disk Management' 

Is there anything else that I am missing and which I should be doing to get the drive recognised, please?

Chris.

I would be thankful to you if you suggest me the best way to solve it.

Edited by wyattparx, 31 August 2019 - 02:40 PM.