Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All File transfers hang. No virus!

• Please log in to reply

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Not as much as I had hoped.  Appears that when it gets an even numbered hub it works OK but odd numbers don't work.

Odd the table mike seems to have more info than the scanner.  Do you have something else that works that you can get a log from?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

One more working USB accessory:

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Found a neat program from NirSoft called USBDeview

https://www.nirsoft....vices_view.html

Down near the bottom is

Download USBDeview for x64 systems

click on it, download and save then right click and Extract All then right click on the exe and Run As Admin.

It shows you all of your USB connections and even the ones that aren't there any more.

If you click on the Connected column header it will sort all of the NO's together.  You can select all of the NO's then File, Uninstall Selected Devices.  That will get rid of the ghosts of USB past.

Now slide the slider at the bottom to the right until you see USB Version column header.  This should show you whether a connection is 1.1 or 2.0.  Do you have any that say 2.0?

Select all of the present devices then File, Save Selected Items.  Save it as USBView and then attach or copy and paste the result to a Reply.

Do you have a USB flashdrive?  You can plug it up and run a Speed Test with USBDeview.  Select the flashdrive.  (Temporarily stop/disable your anti-virus and close all other programs) Then File, Speed Test, Start Test.  The test is very sensitive to the make of flashdrive.  I have one that gives me Write at 4.10 Read at 10.24 another that gives Write at 1.95 and Read of 17.13 (and a warning that it changed during the write).  Move your flashdrive around to each port and rerun the test.  Do you see any major differences between the ports?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I'm away from pc for 3 weeks, I'm concerned that uninstalling all the usb devices will lead to an unreliable computer when I return to catchup with other tasks.

I'll do the mass usb uninstall later. For now, I did the scanner and it reistalled when I plugged in, but speed warning returned also. I noticed that most devices don't have a usb speed written in UsbDeView, but the tablemike, surprisingly shows as USB1.1. There are others that show 2 and 1.1 respectively. Would you like me to do the usb drive speed test before the mass usb install?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

You don't have to do the uninstall.  It just makes things easier to read.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Ok, thanks, I didn't uninstall the disconnected devices, but I saved a report of only the items that have a USB speed given.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Used USBDeView (with antivirus and MWBytes, anti-exploit, etc disabled) to speed test a USB Pen Drive (Innostor Innostor USB Device).

I ran speed tests 3x per port,

Each time, speeds got considerably slower.

The publish test was greyed so I logged the results manually:

Ports tried: 1 hub 4, 2 hub 4, 3 hub 8, 4 hub 8, 6 hub 8

Read Speed: 9-28mb/s

Write Speed: 0.05-18mb/s

Significant drop in speeds during each test: Yes

Edited by phickspc, 18 October 2018 - 07:57 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

There are two devices with USB Version       : 2.00.  One is a Card Reader and the other is your wireless keyboard.  Try moving the Card Reader (or the Wireless Keyboard if the Card Reader is fixed in place) to each USB port then run USBDeview and see if it shows up as USB Version       : 2.00 on each port.

Alternatively if the Pen Drive shows up as 2.0 then you can use it to test if each port is 2.0 capable.

The publish test just sends the data to a website that lists a lot of other devices that have been tested.  Read speed of 28 is much better than mine.  Write speed of 18 is also impressive.  I tried it on several ports of mine and they really didn't vary as much as yours.  Did you repeat the tests on the ports that showed super slow?  Does the Pen Drive show a different USB Version on different ports?

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Literally every port started at 18, then the 2nd test lowered to 8, then to 2. Every 3rd test for each port lowered all the way to almost 0 write speed.

The card reader is housed in the tablemike unit, so I can't move the card reader around ports without also moving the tablemike.

I can move the wireless keyboard, publish the results and then I'll have to pause the thread until I return (2-3 weeks)

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

For the Innostor Pen Drive, Usb Version: is 2.10

(ports tested: Top of PC: 1hub4 & 2hub4, Rear PC: 5hub8, 3hub8).

Thanks RKinner, will reply in 2-3 weeks to resume the diagnosis, Cheers!

Admins & Mods, please leave this thread open, I'll resume it in 2-3 weeks.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Hi RKinner, I'm back! Thanks for keeping the thread open.

What would you like me to do next?

P.S. I notice another symptom, that may or may not be related: Whenever clicking to the Safely Remove icon on system tray, It takes atleast 10 seconds for the display of devices to appear, and this includes when I have my external hdd plugged in to pc via esata.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Delays are usually caused by the CPU being busy.  Does Process Explore show much CPU activity?

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

No. 85-95% Idle.