Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update fails--possible malware?

• Please log in to reply

cgnolte

cgnolte

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

My wife's Windows 7 laptop cannot install "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB971033)" )(labelled "important"). Her machine has attempted to install it just about every day since 3/11/2017. The failure error code is 80073712, but I have had no luck figuring out what that means.

In the past I have had some Windows Update problems that turned out to be due to malware, so I thought I'd give FRST a try.  Logs are attached, I'd appreciate any help.

Attached Files

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

It's not an Important update to you just to Microsoft.

https://www.technize...pdate-kb971033/

If you have a legitimate copy of Windows and really want it to work then you can try

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7

This link is for 64 bit:

Once that runs (may take hours) then get

KB3083710 and KB3102810 if you do not have them.

Then try Windows Update again and see if you have better luck.

cgnolte

cgnolte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thanks, this worked!  I was able to get Windows Update installed manually via the links you posted.  How do you find those?  I searched for those Microsoft Knowledge Base numbers, but those links did not come up.

Windows Update still wanted to install one of them, even after it had been successfully installed manually.  I "hid" this update, and it hasn't bothered us again.  

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
I searched for those Microsoft Knowledge Base numbers, but those links did not come up.

Which ones are you talking about?